Anyone used Wix?

By Rebecca (PayforPrecision) : Forum Moderator
Published 20th September 2017 | Last comment 9th November 2018
Comments

I used WIX for about three years now , but not the free version, if that makes a difference.

I think its easy to use and has all of the tools you need to get started for web and mobile, and plenty of apps and addon's.

www.switchedonbroker.co.uk

If you you need help, then give me a call 0208 1231473, but there is plenty of help on you tube and support.wix.com

Pete

Kind regards
Pete England

"It was a web designer that recommended Wix"

Nearly spat my tea out at that one.  No web designer worth their salt would recommend Wix as a platform for any business website I m afraid.  

Although it might seem to tick all the right boxes, the fact is that it is a confined environment and you are limited to what you can do with it.  Great for a simple website, but if you want to add extra functionality, then you will hit the buffers.

Wordpress is a pain in the bum, there is no denying it, but its flexibility is what has made it popular.  Stick with it, there are loads of tutorials online and endless forums and facebook groups for one to one help.

Regards,
Simon_G

Hello, I used to use both Wix and Wordpress but found Square Space, have been building sites in it for 6 months and not had a problem and Google loves it.

Hope this helps if I can help.

Best Alan

https://www.redmason.online

Thanks,
Red Mason

Thanks for the replies. My issue is I have no time to sort it out as I work hard and look after my children whenever I am not working! I don't have the spare money to pay anyone to do it really, but I will look at a budget for it I guess. I need something so simple and everyone wants to charge you for things I don't need plus ongoing costs which I can't commit to.  I guess the good news is business is booming despite having no website! 

This post is NOT an invite to call me about offering me a website by the way, I was not overly impressed by that......I will never buy from a cold call.

"Hello, I used to use both Wix and Wordpress but found Square Space, have been building sites in it for 6 months and not had a problem and Google loves it."

Actually Alan, that is not entirely true...

• Alt Tags and Meta Descriptions on images are placed on the screen as opposed to in the back end, something Google doesn't like.
  • No 301 redirects when changing URL's, something Google also doesn't like. (Yes you can manually redirect pages but the majority of people forget to do this which has a detrimental effect on your ranking)
  • No built-in SEO checking, meaning that users will have to use external services to monitor the SEO properties of their pages (something the majority of people have no idea about).  Bad on page SEO = Detrimental effect on rankings
  • Unable to edit rich snippet information without uploading to the Data Highlighting Tool from Google (again something the average user will not have a clue about)
  • Unable to change URLS for a cleaner presentation.

The bottom line is that the things that SquareSpace shorts out on are the exact things that cause detrimental effects to the SEO of a site or page.  Unfortunately, with services like SquareSpace, there is little you can do to rectify the situation unless the provider deems that it needs to change it themselves.

These code free websites such as Wix, SquareSpace, Weebly etc all look good from the outside, and do a lot of things right, however, if you ever need to scratch the surface or tweak things, particularly in regards to SEO, then you soon find out their limitations.

I am in the process of creating a full comparison matrix which I am going to include with other resources so that people can make informed choices about the services they choose to use, instead of going on the "it works for me" brigade who in all honesty usually have very little knowledge themselves.

Regards,
Simon_G

This is why it's a quagmire, as no two people seem to agree. Haha

Hi Rebecca,

There is a time and place for these "user friendly" services, without a doubt.  However, using them comes at a cost both in financial terms and in functionality both now and in the future.

For example, the things that Alan alluded to above, and my responses regarding SquareSpace SEO shows that there are issues with the way SquareSpace manages SEO.  This could be the difference between ranking 3rd and ranking 4th for a particular keyword, which could be the difference between 20% and 30% clickthroughs to your site due to the ranking, which in turn relates to the enquiries you may get on your site and fundamentally the possible conversions.

It may seem minor, but if you are not maximising your opportunities, you are not doing your business or yourself justice, IMHO.

Regards,
Simon_G

That's fair Simon but currently I get no enquiries as no website so any would be an improvement  I'm busy anyway but I'm looking to get a website sorted so when my daughter starts school I can build the business even more. It's all food for thought. 

Hi Rebecca hope you are well how did it go with the new website? Alan

Thanks for the replies. My issue is I have no time to sort it out as I work hard and look after my children whenever I am not working! I don't have the spare money to pay anyone to do it really, but I will look at a budget for it I guess. I need something so simple and everyone wants to charge you for things I don't need plus ongoing costs which I can't commit to.  I guess the good news is business is booming despite having no website! 

This post is NOT an invite to call me about offering me a website by the way, I was not overly impressed by that......I will never buy from a cold call.”

Thanks,
Red Mason

Hi Rebecca, Wix is a good FREE starting point, BUT we have had many clients come to us that are on WIX and they want more than whats on offer. We prefer to build using a CMS based software, Joomla or Wordpress, then teach the client to manage all the content them selves. My personal favourite is Joomla, I think it optimises better and is more professional. Hope this helps.

Kindest regards Pete

Thanks
SwankyPixels

This Thread is now closed for comments