Home First Aid Kit

By : Forum Member
Published 8th May 2017 |
Read latest comment - 19th May 2017

Neighbour cut her hand badly on Saturday morning (washing glass when it broke).  Her son came to ask for my help, she was doing her best to stop bleeding with kitchen roll.  Luckily my St John neighbour and her daughter in law were in the garden so asked for their assistance.   Stitches were needed so off to local hospital after cuts had been bandaged.

The standard of bandaging was so good that one of the nurses asked if she had been seen very quickly.  After 3 hours, x-ray and stitches,  neighbour returned home.   

This got me thinking.  I don't have a home first aid kit, just plasters and various pain relief products.   Neighbour would tell me off so now looking online for one best suited to my needs.  I'm probably not alone in overlooking something so important; maybe I should buy two and put one in car.

JuliaP
Comments

Good point! I have never actually thought of this- I cut my finger the other week and we didn't even have any plasters at home So I had to go out and get some whilst my finger was wrapped in Tesco's finest kitchen roll

Thanks, Rachael Kennedy
MLS Marketing Team

Julia Julia Julia tsk tsk!

Always have a first aid kit handy. Have just about everything in the house, which gets regular use with two young and active kids  But always have one in the car, never know who might need it.

Halfords are normally a good place to get one for the car, and in the house I've got a big bag of dressings, bandages, tape, savlon, disinfectant wipes, all which you can pick up from the local chemist.

Likewise first aid training, although I'm long overdue some refresher training, everyone is capable of saving a life and should do some form of basic first aid training.

Hmmm maybe something we should do in the office 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Suitably admonished 

Know the basics, but always good to get proper training.

JuliaP

We have one at home and would probably buy another and put it in my car. Better know the basics

redstone

I always have a first aid kit on me (probably because I'm allergic to pretty much everything) I have a first aid cabinet at home when my son was little it was mostly Calpol, plasters, Parcetamol (for me) and chesty cough syrup, nowadays I have Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, Rennies, Antihistamine tablets, Antiseptic cream, plasters, etc but no bandages, and in my handbag I have a small draw string bag with paracetamol, Antihistamine tablets, Rennies, Immodium, eye drops, and strepsils I'm pretty much a walking drug store lol. I have a proper First Aid kit at work with Bandages etc too but so far have only used  plasters not the bandages (touch wood). I have thought about one in my car too for emergency's and as I sell Basic First Aid kits I really should put one in my car just in case.

emmajo

Sounds like you are a walking dispensary! 

...I have thought about one in my car too for emergency's and as I sell Basic First Aid kits I really should put one in my car just in case.”

I dunno, you sell first aid kits but don't have one in your car  

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Hi Steve

Yes It does sound like that doesn't it!!

I shall make it my mission to get a First aid kit in my car

thanks

Emma

Thanks,
Emma

At first I'd swear then wrap finger in masking tape and carry on. These days I'm diabetic type 2 so have to take extra care of myself at work always carry a first aid kit in my work bag and keep one in the passenger side footwell velcroed to the side of the console.

LOL I do the same sliced the top off my pinky finger a long time ago .. There was blood everywhere, I just stuck it back with some tape and it healed back fine and every one wanted me to go to the hospital , got a scar to show for it though..But couldn't let the party stop  

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

This Thread is now closed for comments