Amazon Go- technology world taken to a new level?

By : Forum Member
Published 6th December 2016 |
Read latest comment - 6th December 2016

We thought we had hit the jackpot when they introduced self checkout within supermarkets- it meant less time waiting for the checkout assistant to scan all your items whilst having a polite conversation about how great your day was going, or how bad your day was going in some cases 

Well just to fill you in, you haven't seen it all as far as supermarket technology goes as Amazon are now planning to open an 'Amazon Go' grocery store; this store not being the typical grocery store, where you pay in the store- how cliche would that be  

According to BBC technology

The system detects when items are taken or returned to shelves and tracks them in a virtual shopping trolley.

Once the shopper leaves the store, their Amazon account will be charged and receipt sent to them. 

How clever!! This is something that is very exciting 

Thanks, Rachael Kennedy
MLS Marketing Team
Comments

It all sounds great, but it always comes at a cost to peoples jobs. And those that work for the likes of Amazon seem to be running around like headless chickens on a minimum wage or just above it..... with little or no quality of life... If people want this type of lifestyle, great but it's not for me and I'm damned if I'll be forced into a world where there is even less human interaction to save a couple of quid.... This is why I avoid using the self checkouts at supermarkets, they've all come at the cost of jobs, half don't work properly or make you wait for someone to clear the problem, so saving you little or no time at all.... In my opinion there is nothing wrong with talking to the old girl on the checkout, you maybe the only person she talks to all day long which helps to keep her sanity... The other option is to sack her, keep her behind the 4 walls of her home and just deliver food parcels to her when she needs feeding...

Thanks,
Barney

I think Stratford is a bit of a technology blackspot, after all we're still waiting for 2G let alone Amazon drones and supermarket automation.

Most mornings I end up buying a sandwich from Morrisons, and they just don't scan. After umpteen attempts, I don't bother now and go to the girl on the till and have a bit of banter about how useless the labels are.

If you buy alcohol, you have to wait at the self service till while they check to see if you are old enough. Normally I can convince them.

If like me, you use a few a few of their 5p bags and open them up ready, it normally sends the machine into a panic asking you if you have brought your own bags, which I say no, and the red light comes on

But the one thing that bugs me, and I'm half deaf, is the full tinny volume the machine bellows at you "thank you for shopping at Morrisons".

The missus swears by click and collect, so no longer has to step foot in the supermarket, as opposed to paying a fiver to have it dropped off at the door. I'll pay a fiver if they unpack it and put all the stuff in the cuboards and fridge. Hmmm, business model??? 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

This Thread is now closed for comments