Do you like being asked to leave a tip?

By : Forum Regular
Published 7th October 2016 |
Read latest comment - 18th November 2016

When eating out it is becoming more and more common to be asked if I would like to leave a gratuity when presenting my debit/credit card to the waiter. He or she then hovers over you while you are in effect emotionally blackmailed in to adding at least 10% to an already over inflated food bill and wholly irrespective of the service received.

Just recently the wife and I were eating at a reasonably popular restaurant,  the starter came quickly but was strictly average. Our main course arrived almost an hour later, also being strictly average.

My glass became empty and it remained that way for another hour. No service to be seen anywhere! In desperation, I took the drastic decision to avoid a desert on principle. My wife was so shocked she felt the need to ask if I was unwell.

Another couple sat nearby, obviously experiencing a similar issue remarked "we could all die of thirst" in here. With that the young man jumped up and went looking for a waitress. He returned, waitress in hand, proudly asserting "I told her that you were fed up of waiting too!" 

The waitress was able to apologise before saying out loud;

"If you would like to leave a gratuity, just press YES and follow the instructions" 

I said no...

she glared at me, with absolute contempt in her eyes and through gritted teeth she said "have a nice evening".

Thanks,
Ray Priestley
Comments

LOL .. I thought most places added on a tip these days anyway.

But I am a stickler for being mean in tipping especially if service is kak

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Not one for giving tips.... But I do like to write the occasional review...

Thanks,
Barney

Not one for giving tips.... But I do like to write the occasional review...

You went to a little thief? What did you expect

I confess to going full circle about tips. I used to be 100% anti tips with the standard lines of "I don't get a tip in my job" or when given the low wages sob story, "go get a better job!"

But maybe it's me getting older, or the fact that tipping is now embedded in our culture, but I now expect to pay a tip. But I'm also a lot more likely to complain and asked for a reduced meal price if the service or food hasn't met our perceived standard. 

So I'll happily tip, but you need to get all the meals out at the same time, include all the things on the plate I ordered, it needs to be hot, and taste as good as I expect it to. Otherwise no tip, and a discount on the bill.

Sadly, these basic prerequisites are rarely met, to the point now have to we read back the order to the waitress/waiter as we are bored of people getting it continually wrong

It seems even with the review culture we live in, so many (and particularly chain pubs/restaurants) seem to care.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

You went to a little thief? What did you expect

I confess to going full circle about tips. I used to be 100% anti tips with the standard lines of "I don't get a tip in my job" or when given the low wages sob story, "go get a better job!"

But maybe it's me getting older, or the fact that tipping is now embedded in our culture, but I now expect to pay a tip. But I'm also a lot more likely to complain and asked for a reduced meal price if the service or food hasn't met our perceived standard. 

So I'll happily tip, but you need to get all the meals out at the same time, include all the things on the plate I ordered, it needs to be hot, and taste as good as I expect it to. Otherwise no tip, and a discount on the bill.

Sadly, these basic prerequisites are rarely met, to the point now have to we read back the order to the waitress/waiter as we are bored of people getting it continually wrong

It seems even with the review culture we live in, so many (and particularly chain pubs/restaurants) seem to care.

Reading between the lines.... I'm guessing you don't tip very often....

Thanks,
Barney

Reading between the lines.... I'm guessing you don't tip very often....

Which is probably why I don't mind tipping  

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I blame our "American cousins" for the tipping culture.  Apparently everyone thinks they're now deserving of a tip, from the person who took your restaurant reservation to the hotel check-in staff.  

I tip on different scales according to the type of eatery.  If it's a buffet then they get less than a table service place.  Then they only get a decent tip if I've received good service and they've shown a genuine interest in whether I'm enjoying the food.  Had lunch recently at a local farm cafe where you ordered and paid at the till but food/drink was waiter service.  Never thought about leaving a tip there, but then I didn't pay......

I don't tip the binmen, they get paid enough as it is and I pay council tax.  The postman, well I hardly see him and you don't always get the same one.  Hairdresser's junior no, but I do buy her a gift card at Christmas.   Taxi driver, if he's been polite then I'll usually add on £1 but if they take the "scenic route" then no tip!

JuliaP

I find hotels awkward, or at least the rare occasion when it's not a Premier Inn  If someone offers to take your bags, then there is invariably a moment of awkwardness in the hotel room. My standard response now is "sorry I haven't got any change" which is a cowards way out, but works well.

Angela
My views & opinions are my own

I am with Steve, if the service is exceptional then I don't mind adding a few £'s but usually do this in change against adding it to the card payment.

I don't think its too much to expect a smile, the food to be hot and cooked correctly, that's assuming of course the order has been taken correctly and the bullets, I mean peas have been deleted from the options - i hate restaurant peas! I get "al dente" but that still means they should be cooked !!

Clive

If they actually have the nerve to ask for a tip, my response is 'when I get some service worthy of a tip i'll leave one'

I have on one occasion even asked for the 'service charge' to be removed from a bill as there was no service unless you think having a ladle of soup in my lap service.

However if the food and service has been good I generally leave a cash tip so that the waiter/waitress actually gets the money, if they want to share it after then it's their decision. However if it is added to the bill it usually means the company is going to use it to pay the staff their normal salary and it will not be a bonus. I object to this, if the restaurant wants to employ people they should pay them and keep their hands out of the gratuity 'Trunk'

This Thread is now closed for comments