Charities can help build your business

By : Forum Member
Published 18th October 2014 |
Read latest comment - 24th October 2014

I have recently teamed up with Chart UK, a charity that interact with children on limited lives with music and arts. They hand out my brochures to everyone they know and to supporters of the charity. I offer them 20% of any orders they can generate for me. Since mid September they have given me nearly £400 orders and so far nearly £80 has been raised for their charity. The founders of the charity, four ladies, are also happy to promote my website too. 

Has anyone else's business benefitted from helping a charity? I have also now linked up with Solider's off the streets, a charity that is helping an increasing number of men who after bravely serving our country in the Armed forces, now find they are forgotten about and for what ever reasons, end up living on the streets. The charity helps them to get back on their feet again, and finds them suitable accommodation. 

Thanks,
abfabcards
Comments

I'm a big fan of the AirAmbulance ad we have done things like donating a laptop for fund raising, included their logo on our own offline marketing, and outside of the business I donate to them.

It's obvious PR capital and I like the idea of a charity that really does cover all boundaries, races, backgrounds, beliefs etc. No one ever knows if they will ever need an Air Ambulance, but you can be pretty sure you won't find many people that would refuse help from one if needed.

I do think you have to be careful and consider your own business and brand when looking at charities, as do charities when looking at businesses. Some charities can rightly or wrongly cause emotive reactions, and if some of those are from your customer base, it could impact sales/revenue. 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Thanks for that Steve, and well done for supporting a worthy charity. None of my what I call regular customers donate to the charity, the funds for Chart UK comes from any business the Charity give me.  I admit I loose out earning much from the orders the charity sends me, but I am OK with that, because the Company pay me a monthly bonus based on my monthly sales. 

Have a great day.

Thanks,
abfabcards

I have been considering offering free or cut price proofreading to charity websites to generate some reviews (as I've not been going long). I would like to think that will help them out too. Not sure where to start,  I guess I should just start contacting some and see! Thanks for the reminder! 

I have been considering offering free or cut price proofreading to charity websites to generate some reviews (as I've not been going long). I would like to think that will help them out too. Not sure where to start,  I guess I should just start contacting some and see! Thanks for the reminder! ”

We offer free listings to charities and good causes  

I initially spoke to a lot of charities in the early days and they were wary of freebies, as they are constantly tripped up by unscrupulous businesses trying to make money out of a charity, very low IMHO.

Once they are convinced that you are genuine they are usually very open to some free help 

Clive

This Thread is now closed for comments