UK unemployment figures continue to fall - everyone now working for themselves?

By : Administrator
Published 17th September 2014 |
Read latest comment - 17th September 2014

According to the beeb unemployment is at the lowest levels since November 2008, but is the largest annual fall in unemployment since 1988.

No doubt this matches a curve for the growing numbers of self employed and new small businesses! Be interesting to see stats on new businesses that survive past year 1, year 2 etc.

If Scotland decides to breakaway tomorrow, I wonder how that will affect the UK unemployment figures? Already seen some funny stats such as the average amount of UK rainfall will decrease, and apparently the UK average life expectancy will increase!

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Something like 80% new jobs this quarter (I think) are actually part-time ones. 

Given that a standard working week is around 37.5 hours, I don't understand why we don't do a further analysis and focus all the economic discussions on the UK's figures for full-time jobs (counting the part-time jobs as fractions of a full-time job). 

What matters most about jobs surely is that they provide enough income for the jobholder (and his / her family) to live on?  Very few part-time jobs would provide enough money to fund these costs of living.  I accept some full-time jobs don't either  but ....

Linda
CareersPartnershipUK

This Thread is now closed for comments