Hire or outsource?

By : Forum Member
Published 28th April 2017 |
Read latest comment - 2nd May 2017

For companies who have dynamic site counts but resource constrained, would it be more practical for them to just outsource time-consuming tasks of working with service providers? Like contacting each service provider to negotiate and ensure that appropriate services are established as well as setting up & closing business accounts? Or just hire additional employees to do the job?

redstone
Comments
For companies who have dynamic site counts but resource constrained, would it be more practical for them to just outsource time-consuming tasks of working with service providers? ”

I think this is half the problem. I don't understand what that sentence actually means? What is a dynamic site count?

From my experience of outsourcing, I've had nothing but problems when trying to do it on the cheap using countries where English isn't the first language. We do a lot of outsourcing but now only use outsourced resource based in the UK. It's quicker, there are no communication problems and you still gain and flexibility and cost savings versus extra employees.

But there is little substitute for having internal employees if your business can justify and sustain them. We combine a mix of internal and external, letting outsourcing take the pressure and strain where we can't justify a permanent employee.

I've no doubt offshore outsourcing works for some, so only relaying our experience, and it's not something we would consider again. 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

This Thread is now closed for comments