Fines for nuisance calls, recorded messages and spam

By : Forum Moderator
Published 27th April 2016 |
Read latest comment - 5th May 2016

Good news for people sick of nuisance calls.

"Cold callers will no longer be able to hide or disguise their phone numbers as Government continues to crack down on nuisance calls.

Baroness Neville Rolfe, minister responsible for data protection, is expected to confirm tomorrow that from Monday 16 May 2016, direct marketing companies registered in the UK will need to display their phone numbers when making unsolicited phone calls - even if their call centres are based abroad."

Cold callers to be forced to display phone numbers - gov.uk

The Information Commissioners Office (ico) has issued over £2million in fines in the last 12 months, but there is a great blog entry from the ico that explains there is a lot more to it than the recent headlines.

They are now actively pursuing firms that play recorded messages as well as habitual email spammers. What I found encouraging is that they are going after smaller businesses that typically fold when caught and re-appear else where doing the same thing. 

"these companies are typically limited companies, directors can be quick to look to liquidation as a way out of paying fines.

But it’s not as easy as that. The UK has a strong insolvency regime and the ICO is committed to pursuing money owed on behalf of taxpayers and those millions of people who have been bothered by unwanted calls.

Even companies which have stopped trading or try to get themselves struck off cannot escape because we use all means available to us to pursue the debt.

Of the 19 fines we’ve issued since April 2015, three have been paid (fines worth £165,000) and one is being paid in instalments. Four firms still have time to pay because they are still within deadline or the deadline has only recently passed and two companies are appealing their fine (FEP Heatcare Ltd and UKMS).

That leaves nine others that have gone into liquidation or have not paid, which we’re actively pursuing."

Nuisance calls – the facts behind the headlines - ico

The ico blog article is well worth a read, and if you are considering this form of marketing, I would rethink your strategy.

Angela
My views & opinions are my own
Comments

And where do all these fines go to.... Victims? nah as usual the government coffers.......

Thanks,
Barney

I get 1 of these every day with out fail ,my phones block list gets longer every day and am now getting really annoyed with it ..I wish the fines they dished out went to the person reporting it

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

I wish the fines they dished out went to the person reporting it

Now theres a great idea 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

..I wish the fines they dished out went to the person reporting it

Hey id make a fortune 

Nothing winds me up more than a cold sales call to my TPS "protected" mobile and landline.

Currently being plagued at home for some boiler scam - getting 2 automated calls a day on my ansafone - been too busy to trace the number to report it 

Clive

How do you report these as I have a growing list as well

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

How do you report these as I have a growing list as well”

If its a text message - forward it to 7726 (I remember it as it spells SPAM in numerals), they will instantly text you back asking for the number that sent it. Text them that and then you get a text telling you they will investigate.

If its a call and you are TPS registered then simply complete the online form 

If you are not registered then you can quickly register here for free You then have to wait 28 days for your number to allegedly be removed from the cold calling database, but once 28 days is over its open season on complaining.

You do have to collect a bit of info before you tell them you are reporting them for TPS nuisance calls (thats the bit i love ) - you need, number, name of company, date and time they called and give your details on the form.

It used to be a real pain to complain, now it takes just a few moments 

One other thing, if you are registered, it only lasts 12 months then you need to confirm you wish to remain registered. Its still free though.

DO NOT SIGN UP WITH ANY OF THE CHARGEABLE ONES - there a few about that claim to be TPS and they charge - TPS is 100% free to register and to complain to.

If you are the mood, don't forget to sign up to MPS too  - this reduces the amount of addressed spam mail through the post.

Clive

This Thread is now closed for comments