Convictions, when to disclose and what!

By : Forum Member
Published 3rd June 2014

Was actually looking at a listing on our site, which led me to their website, which then led me to this article - Criminals get better insurance - but not speeding motorists

Fascinating story dates back a couple of months. In essence if you get sent to prison for a particular crime, you previously had to disclose the conviction for several years, just like you do with a motoring offence.

However recent changes in the Law now state you no longer have to disclose criminal convictions after they are spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act but motorists are still required to inform their insurers.

As the article states, the Law is literally is full of holes - for example

You serve up to 6 months in prison for a driving offence, the offence is spent after 2 years, but say you get points and a fine, without prison time you HAVE to disclose it for 5 years.

My softer side, i can see the benefits of an offender being able to get insurance at a reasonable rate otherwise there would be no incentive to insure, however there has to be a balance as the motorist will feel picked on, well more than we already do.

Clive
Comments
This Thread is now closed for comments