Immigration has altered our language? Is that a statement or a question?

By : Administrator
Published 11th August 2014 |
Read latest comment - 25th September 2014

A great article on the BBC about "uptalk" and I'll confess I find it annoying, but no doubt I do it as well.

eg When someone tells you something, then ends the sentence with a higher pitch which then makes the statement sound like a question, or is asking for your re-assurance that the statement is correct. Or is it? 

The blame seems to be split between Americans, Northern Irish or Australians, in particular the Australian Neighbours soap 

Here's a good quote from the article, which can be seen here:

The unstoppable march of the upward inflection? - BBC

Sharyn Collins, a voice coach and elocution expert, has strong opinions on uptalk. "It's perfectly fine in Australia, New Zealand and America," she intones in a cut-glass accent. "But not here [in the UK], I believe. We've adopted it in a different way."

Some people believe the phenomenon is used by uncertain speakers hoping to win their audience over. It acts as a constant check that listeners follow - phrasing every sentence, no matter how declarative, is a subconscious begging by the speaker to be reassured. It's a use Robin Lakoff first noticed 40 years ago. "The effect," she wrote, "is as though one were seeking confirmation, though at the same time the speaker may be the only one who has the requisite information."

Have you noticed people doing this, does it bother you, or do you do it yourself?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

I think a lot of it is Americanisms, and can probarbly traced from 1970s and 1980s Amercian sitcoms. With more TV, and most of it coming from the US it will be inevitable slang terms and speech styles will be adopted by the young. Ever seen a teenager talking on Facebook? Like a foreign language. 

Shakester

Think tone in a voice is inevitable and it often reflects ones mood, but the Australians do take the uptalk to a new and very annoying level. 

That being said the brilliantly funny American Pie's most famous line - "This one time at band camp" has shades of uptone/uptalk too and my oldest used to do it all the time, fortunately it was just a phase!

Shakey - im with you - i can do text speak to a degree but a whole new language seems to have been created. Also the art of talking on the phone is disappearing with my kids texting me now rather than calling - i can just about decipher what they say, usually they want something so they long type it out just to make sure i get the message lol 

Clive

Australian without doubt.

Actually i should say...Australian without doubt? (hard to type intonation!)

Thanks,
Kempres

This Thread is now closed for comments