Bitcoins - beginning of the end? Or end of the beginning...

By : Administrator
Published 5th March 2014 |
Read latest comment - 6th August 2014

I'll confess to being a bitcoin cynic, although I am desperately trying to view it in an impartial or positive light.

But from face value, and what's said in the media, recent security hack attacks on Bitcoin traders and banks are just fuelling scepticism and the credibility of Bitcoin as a viable currency.

BBC News - Bitcoin bank closes down after $600,000 hacker theft

The Inside Story of Mt. Gox, Bitcoin's $460 Million Disaster | Wired Enterprise | Wired.com

BBC News - Bitcoin value drops sharply after tech issues continue

The UK has decided not to apply VAT on the creation of Bitcoins, so that tells me it doesn't see Bitcoins as a genuine threat.
BBC News - HMRC scraps VAT on virtual currency Bitcoin

So is the love affair/obsession/fad with bitcoins coming to an end, or is this just the inevitable teething problems of a new complex financial system?

What does anyone else think?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments
I'm going to chime in with some thoughts here:

Bitcoin seems to be taking a bit of a beating lately when it comes to main stream media. The media love to hate bitcoin. It creates great readership which after all is their main MO.

Given it's recent media attention, you would expect bitcoin to be worth zero yet it still holds up against such negative attention and the failing of one of the former largest exchanges around. But the reality is that mt.gox was originally a card trading platform. It was never intended to be a real money exchange yet that is what it became almost by accident.

In the 'real world', something like a fiat money exchange would never be allowed to fail. Inflating the money supply and adding assurances would be the quick response to keep 'confidence' in the money supply. Yet the real impact would be a decrease in the true value of the fiat currency.

In the bitcoin world, when a business/bank failure occurs it is allowed to fail allowing stronger, better performing services to take its place. There is no 'Too big to fail'. And those who fail spectacularly can expect to face law-enforcement. Our current bankers simply get bonuses for bad action.

Here is a great article by one of the best spokespeople in the bitcoin world:
http://antonopoulos.com/2014/03/02/failure-is-an-option/

Hackers are drawn to real money so it's undeniable that there is a draw to hacking wallets. But this will only encourage better development and security in these areas. Bitcoin banks will rise from the ashes to provide secure, insured services that people can trust.

The fundamentals of bitcoin are unchanged and resilient to recent events in bitcoin despite scaremongering by mainstream media that 'there is a fault in bitcoin'. There is no 'Tech Issue' per-se in bitcoin. Only an implementation issue. It can be likened to a traditional exchange setting up shop that was poorly written and allowed a hacker to re-direct payments into their own Cayman Islands account.

The recent events will strengthen bitcoin in the respect that so much money is now involved, that better services will come to take their place.

Finally, having discussed personally with some of the people involved with discussions with the government, the general consensus is that there are many in senior positions who are positive on bitcoin and it's potential. The reclassification with VAT only strengthens this position. However to be classified as legal tender can take time and has to go through the EU courts. Many see bitcoin as a counter to fiat currency failings. The two can co-exist quite successfully and benefit a global community in many respects.

Although I can't advise anyone on financial matters, I do consider the current price to be more reflective of bitcoins current purchasing power with many of the speculators walking away wounded. bitcoin isn't a commodity. It's a currency. It's true value comes in its transactional ability. As individuals find ways to transact with bitcoin, the more valuable as a currency it becomes. It didn't have Billions in investment to give it a kickstart like the Euro. It has to grow organically. Thus it will have it's growing pains as it breaks through amateur services, and hacker attacks.

Ultimate answer: Teething problems. Check back in a year. In the mean time, start accepting and pay with bitcoins. Offer incentives to customers: i.e. 5% discount when paying with bitcoins (because you'll want to realise gains as price relative to fiat rises and zero transaction fees). It's a win-win. Just don't panic if the price drops another 25% because of another exchange/bank/theft/hacker attach. The fundamentals are what matter and they are strong.

Finally: Just like the internet, bitcoin is not a fad. It's a sea-change of how we can fundamentally manage transactions - not just as a currency. It took years before the internet gave us youtube and google, but the early adopters recognised the potential long before the average man on the street. I remember the days, 'This internet fad will pass. I'm not going to bother registering a domain name!'.

whyinvestinbitcoin

A fascinating and good counter

So in true Churchillian style, we could deem all the current issues as simply the end of the beginning, as bitcoin technology is forced to mature, as it strives to evolve as a main stream currency.

Personally, (and unusually) I'm still stuck on the fence, but can see some good persuasive arguments on both sides of the divide. Even the missus who is naturally risk adverse reckons we should be buying into them!

Thanks for detailed and interesting analysis, I'm sure either way, it's going to be an interesting/hair raising 12/24 months for the Bitcoin.

Anyone else got any thoughts, or looking to utilise them?

Steve Richardson

I've just started really digging into learning about cryptocurrencies so this isn't a particularly deep response!

Definitely seen more irl places accepting Bitcoin and Dogecoin in Brighton and London.

Personally opinion is that cryptocurrencies are going to continue to grow, though I'd want to know more before investing in them and would see any investment as long-term and part of a diversified portfolio, with most of my investments in more secure investments.

Taking some of the stuff in the media with a pinch of salt, after all they quite frankly seem to be proclaiming that the sky is falling in every other day.

Thanks,
Elizabeth

I've been intrigued by bit coins for a while and still want to know if they actually have a future or not

Thanks,
Pubby

Sorry dont believe a word of it. Currency dreamed up by a cult, unstable, unreliable and stands zero chance of getting established. Business is about taking controlled and calculated risks, but this is fools gold. Dabble with extreme caution and ignore any get rich hype.

Shakester

Did I read the other day that a travel firm a going to take bit coins now?

Thanks,
Pubby

Did I read the other day that a travel firm a going to take bit coins now?”

Yup Expedia 

"One of the world's largest online travel agencies, Expedia, has become the latest company to accept Bitcoin transactions as a form of payment."BBC article

Maybe this is the beginning of mainstream adoption, or just a clever marketing campaign by Expedia to generate some back links after getting hammered by Google 

Steve Richardson

The Bitcoin is now becoming more stable (at least getting less of the media coverage over fraud or misuse). Anyway, I think it's both the passion for new techniques of payment, more computerised, free of charge and free of any governmental manipulation, of which so many are wary nowadays 

Fixed Fee Legal Services | Bespoke Document Drafting | Document Templates

Even expedia will be converting them straight away to real money rather holding bitcoins. Hardly mainstream

Shakester

This Thread is now closed for comments