Goodbye Business Growth Service...

By : Administrator
Published 1st December 2015 |
Read latest comment - 1st December 2015

It seems some other cuts have appeared which didn't get much of a mention in the Chancellors Autumn Statement.

The Government funded Business Growth Service which includes the growth accelerator has been quietly axed.

So after hailing small business as the salvation of the economy and driver of growth, it looks like some quarters would disagree.

According to the Guardian:

"a statement from BIS said the closure of the BGS would save government £84m. It also said it was investing £12m per year into 39 local growth hubs that were led by Local Enterprise Partnerships."

Haven't really heard much about the Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) network, but it has been around since 2011. It offers a series of "local information hubs" that give you some support and links to various local agencies and information, as well as hosting business events.

I suppose its a replacement for the old business link, coupled with the high level greatbusiness.gov.uk website which can be a useful resource if you are starting out in business.

Seems a shame to take growth resources away from businesses, but it looks like there has been a lot of number juggling at the treasury in the last few months as spending plans seemed to be getting turned on their heads.

Has anyone used the Business Growth Service, or use the Business is Great website?

Does anyone have any experience of using their LEP network?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

The Business is Great website is quite nice, with good information for exporters... however, I'm not sure about the particular Growth Programme you're writing about.

Fixed Fee Legal Services | Bespoke Document Drafting | Document Templates

This Thread is now closed for comments