GDPR : The Biggest Thing since the Millenium !

By : Forum Member
Published 12th October 2017 |
Read latest comment - 16th October 2017

Hi, I'm Andrew 

I'm from WOOP, a company based just outside Cambridge, offering outsourced IT solutions to sole traders and SME's and one product we are working on is based around the new General Data Protection Rules or GDPR for short. 

GDPR is the biggest shake-up in the IT world, since the year 2K. 

Simply put, it means that if you take and record any customer names, addresses, phone numbers they will now need to be stored with an encryption in place, and you've got to do that for all the records you hold now TOO ! 

But GDPR goes further than that, if your website asks your customers to send in their details on an enquiry form on your website, that has to be encrypted too ! 

And if that wasn't enough, under GDPR you've got to cleanse your database once a year, removing all those inactive customer records !!  PLUS - if you don't comply - they've just increased all the fines, up to £500,000

Full details on GDPR can be found here 

https://www.itgovernance.co.uk/data-protection-dpa-and-eu-data-protection-regulation

At WOOP, we want to make IT Stress Free - and we provide a full outsourced IT solution for your business using our bespoke software, plus help get you GDPR compliant. 

Contact us today, and we will run our FREE PC Health Check Audit on your PC and help get you ready for GDPR. 

Andrew 
.........................................................................................................................................................

Mobile 07470 342813  |  Office 01223 903600  |  www.woop.rocks

Lapwing Suite, Middle court, Copley Hill Business Park,Cambridge Road, Babraham, Cambridgeshire, CB22 3GN

Andrew - Woop Rocks
WOOP - Stress Free IT
Share this post, email or print
Comments

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the forum and I love the business name! 

Will GDPR still apply after we leave the EU? Brexit approaches....

Thanks, Rebecca, Proofreader Extraordinaire
Anarchy is as detestable in grammar as it is in society. Maurice Druon.
Pay for Precision | Proofreading, copy-editing & copywriting.

Welcome aboard Andrew 

I have to admit I love the website name, woop.rocks. Took ages to load to though  Run it through the Google pagespeed tool and look at the results.

The GDPR legislation is pretty interesting. Like Rebecca says it will be interesting to see how much of a priority this becomes in a post Brexit world. Especially when every civil servant will be working overtime for the next 10 years.

Ltd companies should show correct business information on their websites, but it's un-enforceable. In recent years we had the cookie laws which you must display on your site, another un-enforcable bit of legislation.

Data security is critically important and people do need to take action, but when it comes to enforcing, it will be a few high profile sites and then nothing.

With 5 million+ UK business websites, I think we may need a few more enforcement officers

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the forum and I love the business name! 

Will GDPR still apply after we leave the EU? Brexit approaches....

”

Rebecca, Yes - it's being adopted and rolled out by the Information Commissioner - you know the guy - he gave us the Freedom of Information Act ! 

It's been in the pipeline in response to the data breaches of Yahoo and Talk Talk plus many others ...

Andrew - Woop Rocks
WOOP - Stress Free IT

Welcome aboard Andrew 

I have to admit I love the website name, woop.rocks. Took ages to load to though  Run it through the Google pagespeed tool and look at the results.

The GDPR legislation is pretty interesting. Like Rebecca says it will be interesting to see how much of a priority this becomes in a post Brexit world. Especially when every civil servant will be working overtime for the next 10 years.

Ltd companies should show correct business information on their websites, but it's un-enforceable. In recent years we had the cookie laws which you must display on your site, another un-enforcable bit of legislation.

Data security is critically important and people do need to take action, but when it comes to enforcing, it will be a few high profile sites and then nothing.

With 5 million+ UK business websites, I think we may need a few more enforcement officers

Steve,  

To a point I agree, however, the major changes will be that every business will be asked to join a register and agree to a code of conduct, if they are using personal data. All organisations will be asked for their nominated Data Protection Officer - and this may be an individual or a registered third party.

Currently, organisations only have to make one request to use that data, however under GDPR organisations will need to seek multiple permissions, for example, one for marketing, one for maintenance (the annual cleansing of a database), one for fraud checks etc etc - and 'pre-ticking' is no longer permitted. 

At present, consent is unlimited, under GDPR that consent will expire and organisations will need to seek new permission from their clients, plus a client can request to withdraw that consent at any time. 

Furthermore, a client can request the data an organisation holds on that individual and it can be relinquished and 'transferred' to another data controller - all within 28 days. 

So in short, as with many things a lot of the processes will be self-managed, and those that do breach the rules will be subjected to the increased penalty of up to £500,000 (or 4% of Turnover whichever is greater) and possibly imprisonment. I should point out that previously the largest fine imposed was £400,000 to Talk Talk.

Andrew - Woop Rocks
WOOP - Stress Free IT

Rebecca, Yes - it's being adopted and rolled out by the Information Commissioner - you know the guy - he gave us the Freedom of Information Act ! 

It's been in the pipeline in response to the data breaches of Yahoo and Talk Talk plus many others ...

Oh yeah, I love that guy, I studied the Data Protection Act a few years ago when I did council tax and business rates qualifications 

Thanks, Rebecca, Proofreader Extraordinaire
Anarchy is as detestable in grammar as it is in society. Maurice Druon.
Pay for Precision | Proofreading, copy-editing & copywriting.

Post Reply Post a new message to this Thread