Phoenix Homes Colchester
9 Oxford Rd Alcohol Project
9, Oxford Road
Tel: 01206 546854
Web Site: www.phoenixalcoholproject.org.uk
You may be reluctant to seek advice regarding your drinking. You reason that you are not a 'real' alcoholic because you don't drink first thing in the morning, you still hold down a responsible job and you are not sitting on a park bench drinking meths or cheap cider!
However, if you are in any way concerned about your use of alcohol e.g. the quantities you drink, the way in which you use it, or the consequences of ever-increasing drinking binges, it is not too early to start asking yourself questions, and better still, seeking some professional advice.
Since starting our Day Care Programme, we have been greatly encouraged by the growing numbers of people coming for help at a relatively early stage in their drinking career. Whilst many of our clients acknowledge that, for them, total abstinence must be their ultimate goal, others may well be experiencing a good deal of ambivalence and confusion around what changes need to be made.
If you decide that, at this stage total abstinence is not for you, you may still attend an agreed programme here provided you are alcohol-free on any day of attendance and that you remain committed to making positive changes in the ways in which you use alcohol.
How can you tell whether you or someone close to you may have a drinking problem? The questions below can help:
- Have you felt that you should cut down on your drinking?
- Have people annoyed you by commenting on or criticising your drinking?
- Have you ever felt guilty or uncomfortable about your drinking?
- Have you ever had a drink early in the day to steady your nerves or cure a hangover.
If you have answered yes to one or more of these questions it is highly likely that a problem exists. You may be developing alcohol dependence if you:
- Need to drink regularly
- Drink alone
- Hide drink in the home, workplace or car
- Need a drink to stop trembling (the shakes)
- Drink early or first thing in the morning
- Often have a craving to drink alcohol
- Your social life deliberately revolves around drinking and neglects other interests or social activities to allow time for drinking.
Please note that we are unable to provide alcohol detoxification at 9 Oxford Road. If you feel that you may be physically dependent on alcohol (see below) or are unsure, you should contact North Essex Drug and Alcohol Service (NEEDAS) in the first instance. It can be dangerous to stop drinking without medical support.
You may be physically dependent on alcohol if you can say yes to any of the following:
- Are you drinking more than 70 units a week?
- Are you unable to have more than 24 hours alcohol-free without suffering from withdrawal symptoms such as shaking, sweating and/or retching?
- Have you been drinking heavily, and on a daily basis for a long period of time?
An activity of Phoenix Homes Colchester, a company limited by guarantee no. 6205036 registered in England and Wales
Registered charity no. 1119817
Registed office: 147 Straight Road, Colchester, Essex, CO3 9DE
Editing or updating Phoenix Homes Colchester
Select here if you have forgotten or are unaware of any log-in details for this listing.
If you do not represent this listing but would like to leave a review, then review Phoenix Homes Colchester.
DisclaimerOpinions expressed within reviews are those of the individual author and are not the views or opinions of Lowi Ltd, My Local Services or any of its employees.
If you have an issue with any review comments then please contact contact us, and include as much detail as possible.
If you want to report incorrect information on this web page, then please contact us and outline the issue. We aim to resolve most problems within 1 business day.