forum avatar

What do you put in the footer of your website

By
Published 18th September 2015 |
Read latest comment - 10th November 2015

Hi Guys,

Need help! My footer on my website is boring.... It just has the copyright speech in it... No tools etc so I want to work on it a little to make the website standout a little bit more...

Any recommendations what to have and also what is in your footer?

Comments

Hi, take a look at some other sites for inspiration.  You can have:-

- address, telephone number etc

- if you're a registered company there is a legal requirement to have your registered number on your site, you could put those details there too.

- latest tweets

- T&Cs and Privacy Statement links etc

A few ideas to get you started! 

forum avatarGuest
18th September 2015 10:00 PM

Thanks Mrb,

I wanted to put Quick Links in so when you get down the bottem of the site you can use sort of a quck navagation to get to another page but it went all weird and the sub services menu didnt no to how I want it...

I was thinking of having

Space 1 - Quick Linsk ( this would be main navagation)
Space 2 - Services
Space 3 Social Media and testimonials

Space 4 - Terms & Conditions, terms of web use and other related docs or maybe a download section

Its just setting the first 2 correct to be able to to the last 2 right also....

I could show you how it goes if you like and maybe if you can offer some advice that will be great?

I think these days less is more.

Don't put site wide links to external websites, and only add something that will add value. Don't add clutter for clutters sake.

In reality, most people won't really see the footer of your website as a primary place for info, so keep it simple.

Look at the footer on any page of our business directory, lots going on, loads of information. But from heat maps we know very little is used.

The forum footer is much simpler, limiting to a disclaimer, biz info and social media links.

But my favourite is our Trusted Trader site which has a much simpler and clutter free footer. So it looks like we are evolving to a simpler approach.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

you could do with entering your NAP or name address and postcode there , i also like to add my social profiles in the footer .

Steves Designs

forum avatarGuest
23rd September 2015 8:35 PM

Thank you for the comment. I am going to sort this out over the next week and finish off sorting the website as I have a few articles I have to write as they are being published.

- T&Cs and Privacy Statement links etc

”

Well done! Many people do not realise that it's a legal requirement and you actually can get fine for not having these documents 

Fixed Fee Legal Services | Bespoke Document Drafting | Document Templates

where t&c`s are a requirement this is better put in your page menu , footers are pretty small areas  and can look attractive if not over done . take a look at the layout of my home page footer . www.stevesdesigns.co.uk

Steves Designs

forum avatarGuest
27th September 2015 6:20 PM

Hi Guys,

I really appreciate all the comments on the threads I open up. Another question regarding the footer on websites....

I am developing a new website and I am just wondering for some advice on the footer once again... I have placed on the new footer on this new this I have the following

Space 1 - Navagation Menu
Space 2 - Services Menu
Space 3 - Blog/News Posts (limited to 5 showing)

At the moment it has 3 slots, is there a way of creating a Forth Space each time I add another widget it goes under Space 1

The link is: http://tier1logistics.coxslot.com/ (This is a subdomain while I am developing the website)

Thanks in advance

take a look at the layout of my home page footer . www.stevesdesigns.co.uk”

Hi Steve, just been curious/nosy  Is there a reason why you're not using structured data for your address info in your footer and contact page? Wondered if it was a deliberate choice not to use something like schema.org. Be interesting to hear from a web designers perspective.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

This Thread is now closed for comments