Do you give yourself enough time off?

By : Forum Moderator
Published 21st August 2015 |
Read latest comment - 16th October 2015

I have been away to the Isle of Wight this week. I took my laptop and phone but tried to resist the urge to do much work. I had a little bit I had to do but I tried to relax and step away from it all. My new phone has the ability to view my work emails but I can't yet reply to them (I just haven't set it up yet) so I think that helped. It did me the world of good and I feel raring to go now.

So do you have time away from the emails and clamour of work? Running your own business makes that luxury difficult,  especially if you're a one 'man' band. I think a little time away with family/friends can really benefit you. Mind you I missed out on a little work this week so hopefully I make that up with the added enthusiasm after a break! 

Comments

I had too much time off recently (you all know the story ) ..Now I am back at work wishing I had taken more time off... I just didn't expect to walk into a job like I did..As I really wanted to see my Mum in South Africa but had to wait till this Thursday before I get my money .. Ah well will have to plan a trip soon and surprise her  

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

I had too much time off recently (you all know the story ) ..Now I am back at work wishing I had taken more time off... I just didn't expect to walk into a job like I did..As I really wanted to see my Mum in South Africa but had to wait till this Thursday before I get my money .. Ah well will have to plan a trip soon and surprise her  ”

The problem with time off is that you tend to crave more time off!! After a holiday with 3 children I need another one to recover 

Got back yesterday after 2 weeks off in France with the family.

Actually managed to completely unplug from work mode to the surprise (and delight!) of my missus. I think it's good for the soul to have a complete break and recharge the batteries, but it can be easier said than done, something I traditionally struggle with.

It's too easy these days with technology. I can access pretty much most aspects of our business from my phone, which can be very tempting, but I managed to resist 

Luckily I had Clive steering the ship for me, and it seems he had plenty of issues to resolve, from a delayed project launch, managing techies, usual customer services churn, as well as our bank going off the air, but everything got resolved.

So then there is the realisation when you get back that the world can and does carry on without you and no one is indispensable! Time for another holiday 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

forum avatarGuest
11th September 2015 10:44 AM

Hi,

Interesting question to be honest.... I think in the last in the last 7 years I think I have had about 3 weeks off since I started my company when I was 19 years old. I am taking another 3 weeks off shortly though as due to get married this month... And I am wanting to take a little more time off next year and only work set days due to having a baby due in March 2016 so looking at only working 5 days per week Mon-Fri and implementing a call out service sometime this year. I operate a logistics company that offers 365 days per year service regardless of holidays etc. so its something I am wanting to change shortly.

I seem to finish work at 8pm every night but seem to still answer emails, phones and questions on forums at home so its like I never get away.

I seem to finish work at 8pm every night but seem to still answer emails, phones and questions on forums at home so its like I never get away.”

Can't fault passion and enthusiasm, and long hours are the curse of the business owner. But from someone who's been there, married life, young family and long hours without switching off is a dangerous combination. Took me a long time to appreciate it.

Put your family first and delegate.

But forums is ok, you can do that on the phone or tablet while the missus is watching bakeoff 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

forum avatarGuest
11th September 2015 11:36 AM
Can't fault passion and enthusiasm, and long hours are the curse of the business owner. But from someone who's been there, married life, young family and long hours without switching off is a dangerous combination. Took me a long time to appreciate it.

Put your family first and delegate.

But forums is ok, you can do that on the phone or tablet while the missus is watching bakeoff 

I know steve, I have made a promise to my future wife who becomes my wife 22nd this month, that after the wedding I will slow down, I have made a great client base now over the 6 years of hard work and the business still is growing so I will be freeing up more time to spend with family.

It can be really tricky as a small business owner, particularly if it is just you in the business to take time off.  We often worry about losing business if we're not there, but the reality is taking proper breaks is good for both your health and your motivation.  People often come back to work more productive after a holiday as well as feeling loads better in themselves. We answer the phones for quite a lot of businesses whilst they go away on holiday and it's one of the most rewarding things we do to know that we have given someone a proper break.

Thanks,
lynettegreen

forum avatarGuest
28th September 2015 3:25 PM

Reading this thread again its good to know what differnt people do at times of needing that time off. I havent really had time off as I have been that much business motivated for nearly 6 years now, I end up at home, have something to eat and then am answering calls, emails and posts but now I am married I think 6 years is enough to now leave my team to run things more but I will like to stay active and not someone who sits and gets money for other peoples hard work...

I have this weekend off as from Friday to Monday afternoon and I have give everyone else the weekend off after as I can manage the phones and I will use one of our self employed contractors for delivies if any that weekend.

When I keep my laptop and my mobile phones switched off, even for only one day (it happens, maybe, six times per year!), I feel like I am an hero! 

My company could run even if I'm not at work but... I love what I do (and fortunately my partner loves the fact that I love what I do!). So said, twice a year we spend a couple of weeks on holidays. In that way, I can recharge my "batteries" and come back at work reinvigorated.

Thanks, Simon
European Business Advisory Ltd

This Thread is now closed for comments