The Amazon Prime Day - marketing genius or PR disaster?

By : Administrator
Published 17th July 2015 |
Read latest comment - 24th July 2015

I must admit, I missed the Amazon hype, so caught up with this after the event and have been reading nothing but negativity.

On Wednesday, Amazon celebrated their 20 year anniversary by having an "Amazon Prime day", open only to Amazon Prime subscribers.

The hype banged on about how this would be bigger than "Black Friday" traditionally the best eCommerce day of the year in the run up to Christmas. But looking at the online feedback, shoppers seemed less than impressed, with forums, blogs and even Amazons own message board seems full of negativity.

It seems a lot of the complaints were based around the type of items that were being discounted. Primarily Amazon own products like Kimbles, and lower grade products like tupperware

There seems to have been quite a social media backlash, so maybe not the best PR for Amazon, but it does look like they shifted a lot of stock, albeit probably lots of rubbish they've been struggling to shift?

So did Amazon Prime day pass anyone else by, or were you fully aware of it and took advantage?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Can honestly say I have still not ever bought anything from either Ebay or Amazon.. Amazon because it always looks far more expensive than other outlets and Ebay more to do with trust than anything else....

Thanks,
Barney

Can honestly say I have still not ever bought anything from either Ebay or Amazon.. Amazon because it always looks far more expensive than other outlets and Ebay more to do with trust than anything else....”

Wow! Seriously? Half my wardrobe is from eBay, haha. Amazon is also a go-to for us as it's useful to be able to get such a range of things from one site and it used to be fairly cheap (not convinced it always is now). Amazon vouchers are often given as gifts in our family!

I didn't see the prime day hype, I don't have prime any more. I do love having prime though as next day delivery is awesome! Sounds like a damp squib though. 

...So did Amazon Prime day pass anyone else by, or were you fully aware of it and took advantage?”

It didn't quite pass me by as I read about it on the day but I'm not a "prime" customer anyway!  It's an interesting article and I wonder how long the shareholders / investors will accept constant diet of jam tomorrow, which somehow never arrives....  

It didn't quite pass me by as I read about it on the day but I'm not a "prime" customer anyway!  It's an interesting article and I wonder how long the shareholders / investors will accept constant diet of jam tomorrow, which somehow never arrives....  

Just reading that, blimey! "Last year its revenues hit $88bn (£56bn) , but it made a loss of $240m (£153m)"

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Well, would you believe it, they've finally made a $92m profit.   So maybe the investors will be happy now.  

This Thread is now closed for comments