Weird request for help (verging on a rant?)

By : Forum Member
Published 1st March 2015 |
Read latest comment - 21st April 2015

If you'll be so kind ....

This isn't a business request at all ... would like to do a completely unscientific poll on the volume controls (0 - 10) you set your radio(s) at, when you're listening considerately to the radio inside your own home.  I'll confess what my settings are after any replies!

Would be grateful for any information you can provide about your own listening habits.  I'm trying to persuade my (relatively new)neighbours I'm behaving with due consideration; at present, they doubt it.   

Linda
CareersPartnershipUK
Comments

I have a 160 watt bluetooth speaker and often have it on loud. Only had it on full blast when neighbours went to Oz for 10 weeks over xmas so that was good. #Love it loud

indizine
indizine

Noisy neighbours don't you just love em? Seriously I don't have that problem with my neighbours, occasionally I get to hear a bit of muffled talking but nothing more than that. Funnily enough I hear more from the house 6 doors away normally between the hours of 9pm and 2am when callers visit to pick up their bags of crack, no shouting or anything. In fact their quite civilised about it and go to the back window and whistle up for it...

Thanks,
Barney

Thanks indizine.

I only have my radio on low ... but I'm seeking to check whether what I and Environmental Health (our local authority noise control people, to whom I referred myself and my noise) regard as a perfectly acceptable volume is on par with other people's usage of their radios. 

Would be grateful for any input ...

Linda
CareersPartnershipUK

We have a 20 watt stereo/radio on a lot of the time in the Kitchen, normally as back ground and never heard outside certainly not next door.

Wife out with the girls, Telly, warfilm and a few beers is a different story 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Now confession time - I have my radio on at volume 2 (the volume controls run 0 - 10).  My neighbours still hear it (and my central heating coming on, the blender I use in the kitchen, etc).  All of which strikes me as being somewhat unusual ... 

Have been in touch with a most helpful Technical Director of a radio manufacturing company who's said you can download a decibel rating app on smart phones.  I'll do that and try to work out exactly what's going on.

Linda
CareersPartnershipUK

That's the problem with living in such close proximity of others + add very thin walls don't help either .... We have to close our front door and bedroom door quietly as if we don't it rattles our neighbours cupboards ..go figure... They can't expect you to live like a mouse either and would be better if you could sort it out neighbourly too

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Now confession time - I have my radio on at volume 2 (the volume controls run 0 - 10).  My neighbours still hear it (and my central heating coming on, the blender I use in the kitchen, etc).  All of which strikes me as being somewhat unusual ... ”

Seems a bit extreme!

Can feel your pain, nothing worse than neighbour grief. I've had issues in the past with neighbours from hell. One of their claims was an electric screw driver, which was being used to put up ceiling panels during the early evening was being heard over their telly.

Other than the fact they aren't attached to us, and our garage is between us and them, the bit that made me laugh was that we had a 6 month old baby asleep upstairs at the time. We had all sorts of claims. 

We then had a visits from noise abatement, coppers and solicitors letters. My favourite was the last solicitors letter we got which claimed trespass of our bins on their fence which separates our drives, as our bins were touching their fence 

Missus kept telling me to ignore them, what goes around comes around, karma etc. Had many an evil scheme planed only to be over ruled by the boss and told to grow up.

She was right though, took about 5 years but now one of them has kicked the bucket  No more hassle.

Steve Richardson

Hi Steve

THANKS for putting my neighbour problems in perspective ... I really can't imagine how awful  it must have been putting up with yours for the length of time you did!

Linda
CareersPartnershipUK

Hi Steve

THANKS for putting my neighbour problems in perspective ... I really can't imagine how awful  it must have been putting up with yours for the length of time you did!”

Very very stressful, unfortunately some members of our society don't realise the damage they can do or cause.  But definitely heading for rant material so I will gracefully exit stage left....

Really hope you sort out your issues amicably, but if you can't, and when you are feeling particularly low, try and keep it all in perspective, as hard it that can be or seem at the time. 

Just remember what goes around really does..  Just might take a bit longer than you were expecting 

Steve Richardson

This Thread is now closed for comments