Business Directories, who do you use and why?

By : Administrator
Published 21st April 2010 |
Read latest comment - 24th July 2014

This really sits between marketing and SEO. I got asked if I could run a thread on this, and happy to as it can be a very controversial subject, but being a directory owner, I dont want this to be seen as self serving, or a cheap trick to generate feedback for My Local Services.

So with that in mind, other than MLS

The question is, if your marketing your business using Business Directories, who do you use and why? And are they free or paid.

Maybe we could end up with a shortlist of everyones favourites, which will help everyone whos looking to market their business.

So, I'll go first.

I've actually already listed mine in a blog I did a couple of months ago.
As a Business Directory owner, which directories would I list my websites with? The Blog!

So my current short list would be:
DMOZ - free
Google Local listing - free
Free Index - free
Best of the web - paid - more SEO than major traffic, but a quality link.
UK Small Business Directory - paid - same sort of size as MLS, but a long respected directory
Wampit - paid - growing fast and getting more and more popular
Qype - paid - a good traffic source and large review based site
Yahoo Directory - paid - umming and ahhh'ing about this, they are now quite expensive, $300 per site per year, but we have seen good results from them.

This isn't a "plug my directory" thread, lets get some honest feedback so we can all take advantage of improving our marketing.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments
This really sits between marketing and SEO. I got asked if I could run a thread on this, and happy to as it can be a very controversial subject, but being a directory owner, I dont want this to be seen as self serving, or a cheap trick to generate feedback for My Local Services.

Steve I don't think anyone would think that.

Dmoz: - I don't use as a rule, mainly because my understanding is that the UK section is effectively run by very few people who are in my opinion enjoying the power a little to much for my liking, and there are many people who believe the link is not as valuable as back in the day.

Best of the web: I used one of there sponsor packages for 60 days and then it cost quite a bit a month to continue, according to my stats not one visit as a result of being listed, some believe it to be an authoritative directory, but made no difference to the site I was promoting.

Qype: Using it because it is free but not sure if any business has come from it, but cost nothing and gives a full profile of a business which I like.

Yahoo Directory: Way to expensive and it is an annual fee so not an option for me.

UK Small Business Directory The owner of the directory is on another site that I post on , very well indexed and comes up on many searches that I have look at, but for me does not showcase a site well enough, it's mainly text adverts.

Free Index: All day long - that's how a directory listing should look.

My personal belief is that directories should look like the Free Index model which your one Steve does , it gives information about a company not just a link to their homepage.

All the above said I will apply to free directories if when seo'ing a site and checking who links to them and find there are listing in directories A B or C

But as you have mentioned before Steve in the main anchor text is key to it all.

tomsk

Sterling posts from both of you. many thanks

Stavros

Saw this sometime ago and thought it might help some others.

Top web directories

tomsk

Saw this sometime ago and thought it might help some others.

Top web directories

Thanks Tomsk. Interesting you don't submit to DMOZ on the basis of this list?

To sum up my approach if it's free I'll list. There are normally free options for all those listed by Steve and Tomsk.

It's good to hear the thoughts of success (or failure) of paid listings, so would be interested to hear other peoples thoughts.

Thanks Tomsk. Interesting you don't submit to DMOZ on the basis of this list?

Well I put in a requested around 6 months ago for a site that I was looking to push quickly and got a comment back saying need to add contact details for the web site ( a full address) so I did and replied to the message and nothing, complete blank.

What confused me is why say add this and then not approve me, so left them alone.

I have for the benefit of the thread check my dmoz listing and to my surprise it's been accepted.

However I should point out that I have currently running two websites for the same keywords ( tut tut) however the none dmoz listed one is doing better in rankings.

tomsk

.......I have for the benefit of the thread check my dmoz listing and to my surprise it's been accepted.

However I should point out that I have currently running two websites for the same keywords ( tut tut) however the none dmoz listed one is doing better in rankings.

Well that brings us back round to the fact that a directory listing is not the be all and end all as discussed in http://www.mylocalforums.com/seo-webrankings-google-yahoo-bing-etc/757-so-who-lists-dmoz-odp-open-directory-project.html#post3780

My motto would be it can do no harm to submit :-)

I don't like paying for directory listing, unless I know it will seriously help traffic. We are on most of the ones mentioned (I think) but DMOZ, although submitted ages ago, I don't think we are on there.

Ryan

Saw this earlier thought worth posting here Matt Cutts you tube about dmoz

tomsk

To sum up my approach if it's free I'll list. There are normally free options for all those listed by Steve and Tomsk.

It's good to hear the thoughts of success (or failure) of paid listings, so would be interested to hear other peoples thoughts.

Have to agree, we list on anything thats free too, been stung by others that cost an arm and a leg with no results watsoever.
Free index is by far the most impressive for us too.

This Thread is now closed for comments