Company Liquidations are down 11.7%

By : Administrator
Published 30th October 2014 |
Read latest comment - 3rd November 2014

Maybe some good news for once?

It seems the number UK companies getting liquidated or going into administration are down along with the number of people becoming insolvent, compared to the same time last year.

Figures from the Govt National Statistics:

Companies

• The number of company liquidations in England and Wales decreased by 11.7% compared with July to September 2013.
  • Administrations decreased by 18.8%, and company voluntary arrangements and receiverships also decreased.

People

• The number of people who became insolvent in England and Wales decreased by 4.6% compared with July to September 2013.
  • This is driven by decreases in the number of bankruptcy orders (down 18.7%) and individual voluntary arrangements (down 1.9%).
  • Debt relief orders increased by 2.7% compared with July to September 2013.

Apparently the rate of company liquidations is the lowest since records began in 1984.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments
BTW what are debt relief orders? 

From CAB:

A debt relief order (DRO) is one way to deal with your debts if you don’t own your own home, don’t have much spare income, and your debts are £15,000 or less. Some types of debt don’t count towards this limit, so check whether you're eligible before you decide.

Debt relief orders - what you need to know - CAB

Steve Richardson

Thanks, Steve.

Yes, my reading of this, is that the stat for this, is at odds with the others cited. 

The way I read it (and might be completely off the mark) is that the number of people who became insolvent in general is down, but there has been a rise for some people who don't have access to normal borrowing or non homeowners. 

Steve Richardson

This Thread is now closed for comments