Do you build your business for the greater good of all?

By : Forum Member
Published 20th October 2014 |
Read latest comment - 21st October 2014

I followed a link from this site to the MyLocalServices profile at LinkedIn, which I loved,and then it got me thinking about what is missing in business and on LinkedIn, so I created a new group.  Here is the banner I designed for the group:

undefined

Action always equals results, and considering how your business influences you, the people it serves and the world as a whole, both now and in the future, is key to benefiting from the golden rule of return.

Do you build a business for the greater good of all?

What is your mission personally and in your business in terms of creating success for everyone?

Does what you do or what your business does influence other people in a bad way?  Do you only prosper if a select few others don't?

It's worth thinking about.

Choose to encourage development that benefits all parties and you'll soon find that the light of success will shine upon you in the future.

Thanks,
MelantheDivine
Comments

I love my little business. I have always loved stationery, so having a home based business selling greeting cards etc. is a dream for me.  Since I made the decision, recently to focus more time and effort on my business, I appear to attract good things to me. In September I appeared in the Mail on Sunday! 

I am also raising funds for Chart UK through my business. I feel passionate at helping others. Chart UK interact with children on limited lives with music and art. 

I also love chatting to my customers, often being invited into their homes. 

Thanks,
abfabcards

I'd like to say I started a business for philanthropy reasons but it wouldn't be the truth. I was interested in generating commercial success using online technology, after working and watching ebusiness explode while working for IBM. I did have a romantic notion of generating tens of thousands for the Air Ambulance, but only after securing my own future.

In reality business plans and forecasts proved to be almost comical/embarrassing looking back nearly 10 years ago, and completely unrealistic.

But once you start networking, you suddenly realise you can learn a lot from other people as well as help people out which is where I started getting interested in forums and online communities.

Now I get a lot of pleasure from the forum and waffling online, as well as using it as a learning platform for my own interests such as ongoing SEO techniques, semantic search etc. If that helps out other people or gets some discussion or debate going, then even better  Nothing worse than talking to yourself 

As a business we are lucky enough to be able to indulge in some online waffling without worrying about the forum having to generate serious revenue, leaving that to the directory side and other projects we have on the go.

But my ideal would be for forum members to find information that's useful, can be applied to their business or solves a problem or issue they might have. Or if nothing else, raises a smile after a busy week looking at one of Jans cartoons!

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

This is the link, it was my Bank that contacted me, the Mail on Sunday were doing an article on saving money and wanted to chat with some of the Banks customers, they decided to go with me! The photographer came round, I was told he will only take about 10 minutes, he stayed for an hour! 

Although I was allowed to talk about my greeting card biz, they didn't print what I said only about what I said about saving money, but still got my pic in a National paper!  

www.dailymail.co.uk/money/saving/article-2754551/Hey-big-spender-Its-time-save-money-too.html

Thanks,
abfabcards

Although I was allowed to talk about my greeting card biz, they didn't print what I said only about what I said about saving money, but still got my pic in a National paper!  

www.dailymail.co.uk/money/saving/article-2754551/Hey-big-spender-Its-time-save-money-too.html

How fantastic is that, mug shot in a national! 

Definitely one of those in the right place at the right time! Or was it a reward for positive Karma... 

ohhhh I've gone all spooky do...

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Thanks Steve, it was kind of spooky. 

Cant believe the amount of poses the photographer had me in. Yet the paper only published one pic. He had all kinds of equipment. Even a little umbrella!   I guess a bonus for me, the photographer was rather dishy. Ha Ha

Thanks,
abfabcards

I'm not too sure how I feel about this, as when i was in the national press, they sent the photographer around who spent the entire afternoon taking photo's of me and a one of the cats. Only to get a telephone call 48hrs later to be asked if they could come back and just take one of the cat as they did not want me in it.... Make of that what you will...

Thanks,
Barney

This Thread is now closed for comments