What's your thoughts on the Scottish result?

By : Administrator
Published 19th September 2014 |
Read latest comment - 27th September 2014

Well I've got to be honest, personally I thought it was a good result and am happy the Union is going to remain. Plus the new flag would have looked a bit bare without any blue!

But I think the referendum has been good for the UK as a whole, it has polarised opinion, made politics interesting again, and forced the issue on debates which would have been buried for years.

I think there has been quite an English surge of nationalism as more powers have been promised to the Scots, with Welsh and Northern Irish noses pushed out a bit as well.

But listening to Cameron on the news this morning I was actually quite impressed with his response (assuming he keeps to it) and confirmed we will have major constitutional change, with more powers to the Welsh Assembly, Northern Ireland and the promised increase in self governance for Scotland. But the bit that hit the spot for me was the recognition that the English should have the ability to decide certain decisions for themselves.

I think this is the way forward, a United Kingdom, but made up of individual countries that have the right to set local laws, taxes and make local relevant policy, specific to the population.

It all sounds a bit utopian at the moment and we need cross party agreement that whoever is in power will honour and take this forward.

But for my 5 pence worth, politics seems to have become interesting again, we've shown the world the power of the ballot box and democracy in action and it feels good to be British 

What does anyone else think?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

The vote was a good result, but the fun begins now as Scotland has started a devolution process which will see power devolved to England Wales and Northern Ireland and to the regions of England Yorkshire will look to be part of this. I agree we have shown the world democracy in action 

Thanks,
ianwilson262

No problems with each country setting it's own taxes / laws and whatever else they want to do, as long as it's not being subsidised by us in England otherwise it should come under a UK ruling. You cannot have free this and that in one country which is being fronted by another yet not available to them. Wouldn't surprise me now for the powers that be to make Alex Salmond a lord in the next honors list being that he and his party have just cost the country millions........

Thanks,
Barney

To my mind I think Cameron has out-manoeuvred Milliband, who is in a difficult position in Scotland anyway, with the apparent erosion of traditional Labour support in Glasgow. 
And if the Big Beast, Gordon Brown manoeuvres himself to leading Scottish labour, I can't hardly see Milliband cheering him on. 

So we've got both 'big issues' politics, and 'Soap opera' politics playing out. 
One way or another, politics certainly has become more interesting...”

Definitely seems to have got Milliband on the defensive and is interesting to see almost a re-branded Gordon Brown move back into the limelight. 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

What do you think ? didn't both the yes and No campaigns strike this note at least at times? 

Isn't that just politics? Feed on peoples fears and stir up strong emotions. Left centre right all seems to sound the same these days. At least the Scotland debate gave the illusion of a bit of excitement

Shakester

This Thread is now closed for comments