films you enjoy

By : Forum Member
Published 9th September 2014 |
Read latest comment - 5th November 2014

Hey all

I was just wondering what films people like and more importantly why they like them.  I'm asking as have I like to know what people like to watch but also it semi market research. Trying to find out what in peoples opinion (so no right or wrong answers here  ) what exactly do they like when they say a film is good.  Also if you want to say what makes a film bad and irritates you that no problem too. But before I answer my own question I would like to hear some views first.

thanks  

Louise
CEO Resonate Media
Comments

My choices tend to be more blokey 

Love any of the big classic war films 1960's/1970's. Full of stars, from Richard Burton, Donald Sunderland, Telly Savalis, Clint Eastwood, Michael Caine, Edward Fox, Sean Connery etc. No CGI, so sets were huge, using lots of real props, and some dodgy models in places 

Then more modern, can't beat a good scifi, Starwars, Startrek franchise etc. Then it has to be the UK gangster/comedy genre, lock stock style.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I like a lot of diverse things, the Bond collection pre Daniel Craig, think the latest few are trying too hard to be big action films and thats just not what Bond was about 

Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption are classics. More recently Red & Red2.

I find the more hyped a film is the less i seem to enjoy it - not sure why 

Clive

Ok , so I am thinking aloud as i write.

I trained as an actress at one (early) stage of my life, so one of my criteria is good acting, even over and above the overall quality of the film. and I admit to paying more attention to female actresses than men. 

I never knew you use to be an actress that is great. Yeah when you have knowledge in one field (ie acting) you do get more critical in that area. I like your choice in females actresses I agree with it. They are both fantastic and versatile. I never seen Wit before I will check it out sounds good. 

Yeah Garde I agree hyped films always seem to leave a feeling of disappointment after it. I can think of a few films I don't like but if it wasn't hyped so much I would maybe have enjoyed it more. Slumdog Millionaire was one for starters.  

Haha Steve nothing wrong with those good old action films in the 70's. The special affects were the best.. and the car chases... they always find a pile of cardboard boxes to drive through  I love the chinese films in that era as well. The humour still makes me crack up laughing.

I like good production value in a film I like  (a modern film that is 70's/80's films excluded :P) to look good. But again back to my first point that my expertise.But my pet hate is  spoilers. If i want to or am going to see a film i HATE people telling me the ending..... you do not know how annoyed i get.... but i do love to see ti unfold itself. Saying that, it reminds me of a true story. Me and my mum were going to see Titanic...all them years ago..... and we were walking out and my mum was sayign it really good how they can make the boat sink. And 2 americans were passing and one said "Gee thanks for telling us the ending!" .... I leave it at that  

Louise
CEO Resonate Media

Saying that, it reminds me of a true story. Me and my mum were going to see Titanic...all them years ago..... and we were walking out and my mum was sayign it really good how they can make the boat sink. And 2 americans were passing and one said "Gee thanks for telling us the ending!" .... I leave it at that  

Never had any inclination to see that film, after all i kind of know whats going to happen, even without the spoilers - the boat sinks and one of them is bound to die! 

Clive

Never had any inclination to see that film, after all i kind of know whats going to happen, even without the spoilers - the boat sinks and one of them is bound to die! 

What?? Top film. Kate Winslet, say no more....

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

haha it wasn't good and I was 11/12 when it came out so I went to see what my mum wanted at the cinema :P 

Thankfully since since Leonardo Dicaprio has improved so much and been in some really great films. likewise Kate has been active since. I think it is a film that the director and the main actors try to pretend never existed. 

Louise
CEO Resonate Media

Thankfully since since Leonardo Dicaprio has improved so much and been in some really great films. ... ”

Don't know much about his acting skills except what i read about Titanic and Steves lustful comments re Kate Winslet 

Personally think that Dicaprio put in great performances in The Beach, The Departed, and Catch Me If You Can.

Clive

Thanks for your comments Colonwhipers sorry been super busy few weeks but this afternoon will get around to reading/replying and participating in some interesting discussions I been seeing  

Louise
CEO Resonate Media

My fave film of the moment is departed. Dicaprio, Matt Damon, jack Nicholson, awesome!

also expendables and Bourne films apart from last one

Thanks,
Johno

This Thread is now closed for comments