The growth of the back bedroom business!

By : Administrator
Published 20th August 2014 |
Read latest comment - 19th September 2014

It looks like the UK Government has recognised the importance of small business and is giving incentives for home based businesses.

According the .gov site, 2.9 million home-based businesses in the UK contribute £300 billion to the economy. Pretty impressive 

Here are the new measures announced by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills.

• new legislation will make it easier for people to run a business from a rented home. The law will be changed so that landlords can be assured that agreeing to this will not undermine their residential tenancy agreement. A new model tenancy agreement will also be made available shortly
  • updated planning guidance makes it clear that planning permission should not normally be needed to run a business from your home
  • new business rates guidance clarifies that in the majority of circumstances home based businesses will not attract business rates

www.gov.uk news

Sounds like good news, if not spectacular. Any thoughts? 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Very encouraging recognition for us small, home-based businesses. I personally had no issues with the points outlined but it is bound to encourage those considering working from home to give it a try.

I dont plan on working from the bedroom, although accounts and paperwork will be on the kitchen table lol. Good to see home business is being taken seriously though.

Thanks,
Paul S

Hmmm,

Try explaining to Tax Credits that working online from home is an actual real job, and not just playing on the computer, watching Jeremy Kyle...

Thanks,
Kempres

Hmmm,

Try explaining to Tax Credits that working online from home is an actual real job, and not just playing on the computer, watching Jeremy Kyle...”

I don't understand, why would they think that? If you are running a proper business, then you will have all of your financial records and any other information they might need. If you are getting patronised, just escalate them and ask to speak to someone who knows what they are talking about

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

All new businesses start somewhere and the best have started from the kitchen table so yes they do need the support of governments and the banks.

Thanks,
ianwilson262

This Thread is now closed for comments