Car Insurance - do you auto-renew or shop around?

By : Administrator
Published 18th August 2014 |
Read latest comment - 26th August 2014

Apparently car insurance premiums have been falling, although as with all things in the UK it depends on where you live, with London folk seeing the highest premiums.

Years ago I used to religiously shop around every year looking for the best deal, then ended up with direct line who seemed to be the cheapest.

After a couple of years of not being able to beat their price I stopped shopping around and became one of the auto renew generation  Always meaning to shop around, but never getting round to it, and normally use the excuse of being too busy.

So this years is now due, and with the news of allegedly falling premiums, and rumours that direct line isn't as competitive as it once was (does anyone go to a broker any more?), maybe it's time to have a serious shop around and maybe save a few quid.

I suppose in the age of price comparison websites there's no excuse now. Or maybe you use a particular insurance company for a reason, ie because you have previous good experience in dealing with a claim which is more important than saving a few quid? After all, we know if there's a way to get out of paying they will 

Has anyone else fallen into the annual auto-renew trap? Blaming time and being busy for lack of proper research, or is it just me?

I suppose the same could be said for all insurance, home, office etc...

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Last year was the first time I shopped around for motor insurance after several years on auto renew. The only reason I did this was because I was fed up of reading about why insured drivers keep having to pay premiums for those not insured. Well as most police vehicles are now carrying ANPR devices, there's CCTV everywhere you go in theory nothing on the road should be uninsured. So why is the legal motorist paying for it? Or is it just a con to justify higher premiums? Anyway I got mine down by around £250-£300 by shopping online, I now tick the box telling the company that I do not wish to auto renew, will be interesting to see whether they do or not. And just so people are aware the paper road tax disc is to be abolished on October 1st but you'll still have to pay for it online, so loads more fines for those who think they can avoid it....

Thanks,
Barney

Blimey £250 - £300 saving!!

Right that's definitely spurred me into action, the challenge is on 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Yep was gradually creeping up to £650 fully comp with maximum no claims and regardless of any voluntary excess I offered to pay. Was easier just to start with a new company. Did the same with my public liability and also saved money..

Thanks,
Barney

Some voluntary excesses now are becoming compulsory - i always said if you arent saving the majority of a premium excess then dont have it - why pay £6 - £10 less to increase your excess by £75-£100?

As it was my job for such a long time i always shop around, sometimes i save money, sometimes i dont - still well worth the exercise though.

Always read the small print and ALWAYS ALWAYS check the excesses - some are getting clever at increasing them and whilst its in the small print they make little effort to tell you they are there!

Clive

I have been caught out by the auto renewall on car and hiouse insurance, however whilst I may (or may not) have saved a few quid what really does make me angry is how the no-claims discount is applied. I managed to get over 17 years cleaim free. Direct line sent me a renewal notice that showed 13. I challenged this and they said that's all they recognise. I have just renewed after another year with Lloyd's, they only give you 9 years. Just took out a policy with Admiral, they wont recognise anything above the 9 years given by Lloyds even though I can prove that I am now 19 years claim free.....

they should all wear masks...

Thanks,
Ray Priestley

Auto renewal on ANY website or product needs to be banned - they only serve one purpose and thats to tie you in for another year! Did you know that even if you ask your credit card company not to pay it, even changing cards, they will allow a company to debit the old card under the pretence of "auto renewal" The ONLY way to stop the auto renewal is to tell the company at the start you do not wish to have your details captured or cancel the auto re subscription, usually this is in the small print.

Its a very lame excuse that it protects you and prevents you being uninsured/ or covered for breakdown or membership will expire etc - twoddle! What happened 20 years ago - you got sent a letter offering renewal and a letter reminding you it was due. If you didn't pay it lapsed.

End of the day its YOUR responsibility to ensure you are insured - failure to do so these days costs you 6 points & £200 fine - with ANPR cameras fitted to most patrol cars and even at the side of the road, you'll be stupid to let your insurance lapse.

NCB is a different story - each company have their own system and whilst this may be ok, as Ray said not all conform to the same number of years. i have been hit myself, having had a 10 years going to one company, the next year i left their document said 9+ years, yet the company i went to gave discounts for higher years - that is wrong & needs addressing by all insurers.

Clive

This Thread is now closed for comments