Further charge for diesel cars driving in to London on the way?

By : Forum Member
Published 29th July 2014 |
Read latest comment - 31st July 2014

Further charges for diesel cars/vans not conforming to Euro 6 emissions are being considered IN ADDITION to the Congestion charge.

Petrol cars registered before 2006 will also pay this new levy if Boris gets his own way, which he wants in place by 2020.

Thats a hefty charge and surely will now have an impact on vehicles choosing to drive through Central London.

Is it a good idea or is Boris making London a no go zone & will industry & commerce vote with their feet?

Clive
Comments

Is promoting cleaner engines really a bad thing, especially in densely populated areas like London.

Don't known the ins and outs, but by 2020, you would be talking about 14 year+ old cars, so I can't seeing it being a major issue? Not many firms drive round in 14 year old vans, plus who wants to drive into the congestion charge area unless the really have to? 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

The bottom line is, is at the end of the day it is the people who reside and who have business premises within the zone who will end up paying for any increases, as it will just get added to the final bill. And if my 2012 Renault Traffic van makes it to 40,000 I'll be Ok, wont be happy with it as it's the worst £20k I've spent. The only way it will see 2020 is if I put it in a lockup...

Thanks,
Barney

I can see the benefit of cleaning up all Cities but the Councils will have to be first to clean up their act. How many times have you sat behind an older bus or taxi that takes off at the lights leaving you in a cloud of diesel smoke!

Only caught a snippet of Central News last night - i think they were reporting on the possibility of either a Congestion Charge or cleaner engine levy being brought in to Birmingham - was only a matter of time .....

The bottom line is, is at the end of the day it is the people who reside and who have business premises within the zone who will end up paying for any increases, as it will just get added to the final bill. And if my 2012 Renault Traffic van makes it to 40,000 I'll be Ok, wont be happy with it as it's the worst £20k I've spent. The only way it will see 2020 is if I put it in a lockup...

Oh dear - Barney your opinion of Renaults is about the same as mine - my 3 1/2 year old laguna with 60,000 miles gearbox died - massive debate ensued with me dropping it rather quickly as they refused to pay in full for a new one. Vowed never to have another Renault ever & would never recommend them.

Even the F1 teams that use their engines are bitching about them lately 

Clive

No I'm not happy with it, I'm already on my second gearbox at 27000 miles, most of the plastic trim in the cab just falls off when it gets hot. The paint on the bodywork is so thin i will no longer put it in a jet wash. The plastic door handles have just 2 x M8 bolts holding everything in place, along comes a thief pulls slightly harder than normal and the door handle is in his/her hands and they are in your van and your tools are nicked, fortunately this has never happened to me as i had the handles removed and replaced with metal ones. There is no chance of me buying a new one again.

Thanks,
Barney

27,000 miles, the thing should just be run in !!!!

With you 100% - never again Renault !

Clive

This Thread is now closed for comments