How do you master the art of time management?

By : Administrator
Published 28th July 2014 |
Read latest comment - 31st July 2014

As business owners, we all lead pretty busy lives, and more and more demands seem to be placed on us as we push our respective businesses forward, look after customers, try and get new ones, and then deal with the paperwork.

I've been to networking meetings where I've seen time management coaches! Then there are a multitude of applications and software programs that supposedly make your life easy.

No doubt some are really worthwhile, but some I've looked at or trialled have been so complicated, it would just make my life harder not easier trying to work it out 

So what's the secret, or is there one?

Personally my number 1 favourite tool is an old fashioned Black N Red A4 notepad for a daily to-do list and scribble brain dump  Cheap cheerful and 100% effective!

Then I like to keep my email inbox up to date and filed, so anything left in there is pending. (I even email myself if I remember I need to do something, or have an idea, nice quick and simple). For anything important reminder wise, I live in my outlook calender, which I can see on all my internet devices. 

Then I think the best thing I learnt to do time management wise was learning the art of delegation! I keep a high level view of our accounts, but couldn't cope with day to day bookkeeping or accounts queries. If you're not in a position to hire someone, then outsource it. If you work out the time saved and being better spent elsewhere, offloading administration becomes an obvious route to being more productive. 

Unless you enjoy wading through receipts and accounts stuff in the evening!

Anyone else got any hints or tips on time management, or favourite programs?

How does everyone deal with the day to day demands of running a business, and do you have any favourite applications, tips or tricks you can share?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Thought it was just me who emailed themselves..... Obviously not Must admit, since getting the ipad I've done away with bits of paper being left all over the place...

Thanks,
Barney

Bits of paper drives me insane! 

My other half Mark, will write on anything that's available, old envelopes, the back of receipts ANYTHING! Telephone numbers, email addresses, customers details all just floating around and getting lost!

So I bought an A4 pad to keep track of calls etc and action needed.

He came into the office, tore the page out of the book and hey ho, we had more scrap bits of paper to get lost.

I then discovered www.freecrm.com 

Fabulous, client details, job details etc all in one place 

Every morning , I print off his daily work sheets so he knows exactly what is what, where and who.

Now he uses the back of those same work sheets to write important info on while he's out on the road!! 

I'm doomed to a life surrounded by bits of paper! 

I was just the same as Mark, had bits of paper and an awful filing system on my PC.

Steve forced me to adopt a folder structure within our email system. Took a hell of a long time to get used to it but now i'd be lost without it & i now have records of anything important i need to have access to.

Pains me to say it but i do adopt Steves approach to emailing myself notes and fully utilise the appointment system within Outlook to set reminders etc during the working day too.

Still use a desk pad for telephone notes though 

Clive

Maybe I could borrow Steve for a week to sort Mark out ?

I'm sure we can work out an hourly rate for him as long as i get a finders fee 

Clive

Its all about mental discipline. Theres too many distractions, this is a good example. Allocate time to tasks and see it through, sales, marketing , admin. If you run a business time management is critical. Tools help and different tools appeal to different people, but without mental discipline you'll chase your tail.

Shakester

Maybe I could borrow Steve for a week to sort Mark out ?”

I'm out of the office for a day and I've been rented out! I work for choccie biscuits and coffee 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

This Thread is now closed for comments