Holidays - do you / can you switch off?

By : Forum Member
Published 18th July 2014 |
Read latest comment - 20th November 2014

Its been reported that around 31% of us are in contact with work whilst away on holiday and an astounding 81% check in with family and friends.

Kind of begs the question - why bother going away in the first place.

I do try and leave Steve to his time off, although i do know that he checks in from time to time, i wont tell his wife though 

Do recall , Steve took a week off just after we first launched MLS, left me to manage the sales staff we had at the time. By 9.15 on the first Monday, embarrassed beyond words i had to call him as one of the guys couldnt log in to the intranet and i couldnt work out why. Fortunately Steve hadnt left home yet, and an hour later turned up to fix the problem. Turns out the now very ex employee had changed his clock on his PC knocking him off the intranet, well if Steve wasnt happy i was fuming as i looked a right idiot 

Anyway back to the OP - are you having time off in the summer? And will you be checking your emails? - be honest!

Me, yep i have just over 2 weeks off in August, one week abroad followed by one week in Wales, i will probably check my emails between the 2 trips, but probably wont do any work 

Clive
Comments

lol remember that! Ah well pay peanuts....

Made a concious effort on my last holiday to switch off, and left the laptop and ipad at home. It gets harder to switch off with us all carrying smart phones, and in reality I could just about work from my phone.

Only annoyance I had was being stalked by a healthcare salesman who wouldn't take no for an answer, and in the end had to listen to the kids in the back of the car singing Disneys Frozen song

Everyone should unwind if they can, if nothing more gives you a fresh and new perspective when you get back to the office. Does us all good to get away from the coal face for a while.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Thanks Steve, I totally agree. Recreation is also re-creation, vital to all of us who run our own businesses and need to be recharged! Jeremy

Thanks,
Jeremy

Everyone should take some time out to recharge the grey matter, good for the soul. Although a bit too warm for me to relax!

Shakester

I wish I could switch off from work (even on holiday) but alas...like so many...my work seems to be the one thing I can't shake.

Have tried with soooo many different methods but to no avail. 

I think i might have to do a vow of silence for at least a week the next time i go on holiday...maybe then my brain will shut off, too. 

Thanks,
Hansi_R | PromotionTube

I wish I could switch off from work (even on holiday) but alas...like so many...my work seems to be the one thing I can't shake”

It really is tough! But having all that passion and drive which anyone needs to run a business can't easily be switched off.

Blimey, imagine not being able to switch it back on 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Switch off?

Ooh noooo, can't stop thinking about chump work

Question though, slightly off-topic...i shall be holidaying next July for the first time in 3 years, stall-wise it's easy as i just won't book into the Shopping Centre that month, but any thoughts on what to do with the website?

Only started it this April, i'm a one-man band so no option of 'staff', i can't put a message on the website saying 'Buy today receive in 3 weeks, can i?!

Thanks,
Kempres

Switch off?

Ooh noooo, can't stop thinking about chump work

Question though, slightly off-topic...i shall be holidaying next July for the first time in 3 years, stall-wise it's easy as i just won't book into the Shopping Centre that month, but any thoughts on what to do with the website?

Only started it this April, i'm a one-man band so no option of 'staff', i can't put a message on the website saying 'Buy today receive in 3 weeks, can i?!

”

How about a family member or friend that can sort the sales in your absence ?

Clive

I don't have friends nearby my current abode

As for 'er Indoors she'll be on holiday with me.

I guess i could leave the kids at home and start them off early, by then they'll be 9 and 11, that's legal right?

How about a family member or friend that can sort the sales in your absence ?

Thanks,
Kempres

I guess i could leave the kids at home and start them off early, by then they'll be 9 and 11, that's legal right?

”

Lol -   What the eye can't see the chef gets away with .......

Clive

This Thread is now closed for comments