Insures soon to disclose previous premiums

By : Forum Member
Published 10th July 2014 |
Read latest comment - 18th July 2014

Was reading earlier that insurers will soon be forced to tell you at renewal what your previous premium was and if it contained any kind of introductory discount.

Its allegedly to make it easier for us to work out if your premium has gone up.

Have to be honest and say i keep all my docs for the car & house insurance in folders along with the house bills, so a simple check on last years schedule and i know what i paid.

If insurers accept this it will probably kick in around the end of next year but with the force of the FCA behind it, i cant see how they cannot go along with it.

Hopefully will mean transparent and competitive renewal premiums, although the policy fee still gets on my nerves, but thats another story.

Clive
Comments

hmmm insurance companies!

Had a spat with our healthcare provider. Trying to get me to verbally agree renewal over the phone. Asked him if there was any change in the premium (ie no claims, so obviously a bit cheaper) to which I was told our premium had gone up by £120 

No quite sure at which point in the conversation he was going to tell me this, and after I voiced my displeasure about feeling unloved and not a valued long term customer, I was immediately offered the 7% loyal customer discount.

Total bunch of sharks, and now shopping round for a new provider. Does nothing to endear me to insurance companies, be it health care or car insurance

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Insurance companies are their own worst enemies and are always coming under attack for one reason or another.

They do sometimes though quietly get on with things - one of my customers lost a car in the Boscombe floods years ago. From date of claim to paying out took 7 days, yet that wasnt reported at the time !

Fully get where Steve is coming from but at times they dont always deserve the bad press they get.

Clive

I changed my insurance company for the van last November only because the existing one kept putting it up. So anyway I shopped around online and saved around £300-£400. Anyway 3 weeks prior to this someone had dumped a stolen motorbike down the side of my garden, no one in authority cared less and didn't want to know. So I went online and paid a fee to some company to tell me the insurance company of the bike, I then rang them. The bike owner then got in touch with me and then collected his bike, apart from me no one was out of pocket.

Little did I know at the time that the bikers insurance company was soon to become my new insurer, I then filled out all the forms online with one of the questions being have you had an accident fault or non fault in the last 5 years. Well the one that happened 5 years ago non fault I had forgotten about and didn't declare it. The new insurer then decided to fine me £35 for not telling them! Now as all insurance companies access the same data bases as the police the information is freely available to them and they will always check regardless of what you say on an application form, so there is no loss to them as they do these checks automatically. So I'm not entirely sure as to if they can legally start dishing out fines. All I know is, is that this year they won't be getting my money, even if they are the cheapest...

Thanks,
Barney

Fully get where Steve is coming from but at times they dont always deserve the bad press they get.”

Hmmm, agree to disagree! Barneys post sums it up, bunch of sharks!

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Barney

Obviously i'm talking about a career i left nearly 10 years ago and my facts and data will be a bit rusty:-

Insurers ask at the quote stage for any convictions or accidents in the last 5 years, usually they dont check your history unless you have an accident, as they take your declaration as fact unless needed to be challenged as a result of the accident. That i personally believe is wrong, as potentially an undisclosed fact could result in the insurer not paying out as a result of a complete oversight!

In your case there may well have been an additional loading of the premium for a non fault accident as statistically you are much more likely to be involved in a fault claim in the 5 years following a non fault claim..... crazy i know but thats stats for you !!!!

Clive

This Thread is now closed for comments