Bad review couple win compensation

By : Forum Member
Published 26th June 2014 |
Read latest comment - 8th February 2015

Reading this article and it beggars belief that it got this far.

Looks like a couple tried to buy some goods from an online firm, that never arrived.

A lengthy spat ensued between the company and the couple, with the company threatening to "fine" the couple for leaving negative comments online about them. The company then tried to enforce the fine via a debt collection agency !!!( Madness )

The company, KlearGear have now been ordered to pay the couple a total of £180,000 - presume that includes a payment for solicitors costs too 

When reality & lack of business sense collide hey?

Full story - BBC News Bad review couple win compensation

Clive
Comments

Ohhhhhh sounds a bit like the fun and games I've been having with (company name removed by admin due to ongoing Legal issues)

They took my money  for an advertisement that should have gone live from the end of February but is still not up.

They also threatened me with court action unless I removed my review that I left on Bizadvisor.

I emailed them in April and they said the advert had not yet gone to print due to delay so I told them as they had failed to meet agreed deadlines and as it had not yet gone to print, to cancel my order and issue a refund.

The reply was 'You don't have the right to cancel!'

The past 6 weeks have been spent on emails back and forth trying to get a refund of over £600 for service paid for and not received.

They agreed to a refund to be paid 'in due course when their account dept get's around to it' then asked me to issue them with a VAT invoice for the refund to be issued. (whoever had to invoice for a refund?)

I emailed and told them I was unable to issue a VAT invoice anyway as we are not VAT registered and the reply was 'If you're not VAT registered I can't refund the VAT as that is government money not ours'

Court proceedings have been started today by me!

Ohhhhhh sounds a bit like the fun and games I've been having with ......

They took my money  for an advertisement that should have gone live from the end of February but is still not up.

They also threatened me with court action unless I removed my review that I left on Bizadvisor.

I emailed them in April and they said the advert had not yet gone to print due to delay so I told them as they had failed to meet agreed deadlines and as it had not yet gone to print, to cancel my order and issue a refund.

The reply was 'You don't have the right to cancel!'

The past 6 weeks have been spent on emails back and forth trying to get a refund of over £600 for service paid for and not received.

They agreed to a refund to be paid 'in due course when their account dept get's around to it' then asked me to issue them with a VAT invoice for the refund to be issued. (whoever had to invoice for a refund?)

I emailed and told them I was unable to issue a VAT invoice anyway as we are not VAT registered and the reply was 'If you're not VAT registered I can't refund the VAT as that is government money not ours'

Court proceedings have been started today by me!”

I would have only sent them 3 emails, just like I send 3 letters to those with outstanding invoices. Life is to short to mess around with idiots. I make sure I claim the interest too, which to be honest pays a better return than the bank

Thanks,
Barney

Now now Trena, Victor is fearing he may lose his crown! 

Seems like you have a water tight case to be honest but we only have the snippet above to go on, but i wish you every success in your claim. 

I too have been doing battle recently with Amazon, well to be fair a company i bought a product from via them. Amazon to be honest have been great.

I had a product delivered, arrived in broken bits in the box, stated waterproof on the web advert, on the box it said protect from weather - so i left a review to this effect, oh and they use a UK address for customer service but actually its a Chinese company - very cleverly disguised!

Received an email back stating they would send a replacement, without the need to return first item IF i removed the negative review - (oh dear they were doing so well!) 

Quick email to Amazon to report said threat and product due to arrive today, hmm we will see if it does....

Clive

Did it arrive?

To be fair yes it did. In bits again, but with a bit of glue its all together, just annoying i'm the one repairing it. They still had the cheek to email me asking to remove the negative comments - oh i think not !!

Its worth mentioning that you cannot change or amend an Amazon review, once its live its live and you either leave it or delete it - not the best system - something i did inform them of lol.

Its a cheap product that will serve a purpose and i'm wiser to to buying off Amazon companies that cleverly hide their real address with a UK "customer service" centre address.

Good luck in your quest Trena 

Clive

I'll keep you updated! 

Just as a foot note to Trenas comments ....

The company emailed us asking us to make contact with them and remove the post.

I made 2 phone calls both of which went to voicemail so i left 2 messages, i then replied to the email giving them both my direct number and the general office number and have not received a reply.

Rather than remove the post i have edited the comments to temporarily remove the companies name, pending the outcome of the Court hearing.

Clive

Oh Clive, there's me thought it was just me they didn't respond to!

Just a quick update on this, we finally have a court date for this for next month!

This Thread is now closed for comments