Black Cabs in Uber protests

By : Forum Member
Published 11th June 2014 |
Read latest comment - 6th February 2015

Just reading that black cabs are set to protest in London over the introduction of a new system for private hire vehicles that effectively works out the fare on a mobile app.

Cabbies insist that only they can have a meter fitted in the vehicle, yet the app isnt fitted to the vehicle which seems to be the contentious issue.

Right or wrong, not sure causing disruption to tens of thousands of people in London today is the answer. Whats the financial implication?

Anyone in London today? Hope you get out ok 

Full Story - BBC News

Clive
Comments

I was listening to their representative on LBC radio this morning one of their gripes is, Is that Uber (and I like millions of other Londoners had never heard of them until today) were avoiding tax, coming from black taxi trade, its a bit like the pot calling the kettle black. All industries regardless of their history change and they have to change to the modern world, most of us don't like change, just like the London underground tube drivers don't like driverless trains. Driverless trains are on the way, in fact the Docklands railway is just that. My industry has changed probably more than most. Years ago you got your city and guilds and away you went, nowadays your retested every 5 years, we didn't like it but we had to do it. What also makes me laugh about the black taxi trade is, although they have done the knowledge which granted is difficult to complete, the majority of cab drivers now use sat navs. What their gripe is really about is that their going to have to work harder for their money. As to whether their strike effected me, no I was at home mowing the lawn

Thanks,
Barney

I was listening to their representative on LBC radio this morning one of their gripes is, Is that Uber (and I like millions of other Londoners had never heard of them until today) were avoiding tax, coming from black taxi trade, its a bit like the pot calling the kettle black. All industries regardless of their history change and they have to change to the modern world, most of us don't like change, just like the London underground tube drivers don't like driverless trains. Driverless trains are on the way, in fact the Docklands railway is just that. My industry has changed probably more than most. Years ago you got your city and guilds and away you went, nowadays your retested every 5 years, we didn't like it but we had to do it. What also makes me laugh about the black taxi trade is, although they have done the knowledge which granted is difficult to complete, the majority of cab drivers now use sat navs. What their gripe is really about is that their going to have to work harder for their money. As to whether their strike effected me, no I was at home mowing the lawn

Cracking points as usual Barney - glad to hear you were safe at home 

I was in London couple of weekends ago, jumped in a black cab to do a short 4 mile stint, cabbie firstly didnt know where i wanted him to go, fortunately i "dropped a pin" in the google map on my phone, once i'd shown him that he then  programmed his sat nav - £15.20 & 12 mins later we arrived.

Wonder what the Uber app would have made of that!

Whats interesting is that a few people i heard being interviewed yesterday had never heard of Uber until yesterday, seems the cabbies have scored an own goal by giving Uber a massive platform to advertise on - Doh !!

Clive

Catching up on the news, and having never heard of Uber, I wish I had shares in them looking at all of their airtime! Tonight it's all about cabbie strikes in Greece moaning about Uber. 

Planned or not, fantastic marketing 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Thats my point though - if the cabbies had just got on with it and accepted calmly a bit of competition i recon at least 75% of people would have never heard of Uber and probably not used a private hire cab fitted with one.

I think the whole black cab industry had given Uber a MASSIVE injection of free advertising.

It really was one of those times to shut up and calmly get on with life & not score a massive own goal

Clive

Just seen on the BBC website that Uber has been banned in Germany for failing to have the correct legal permits to operate under German Law.

Uber have countered this and vowed to carry on trading pending an appeal.

What i didnt notice before is that Uber are backed by Google and Goldman Sachs Bank, so have plenty of clout and cash to fight their corner!

Clive

Uber is back in the headlines again or never seems to be too far these days!

According to the BBC news this morning, they are promising to create 50,000 jobs across Europe and trying to build bridges with critics which they seem to have plenty of.

They are reportedly now worth $40 billion  which shows how much Amercian investors love to back a good idea. Question is are they making any money yet 

As peace offering and popularity tactic, offering lots of job creation is certainly going to win them over with Governments. I think it will take the competition a bit longer.

So does this have the potential to be the new Google of the Taxi industry? Worldwide dominance and little competition? Or will the Taxi industry wake up and compete?

Steve Richardson

Having used Uber on a recent holiday it comes highly recommended. You know the fare pretty much before you get in the cab. Not like the black cab that tried to rip me off on the way from the airport. 

The app itself is a dream to use, you can see where your cab is, how long it will take to get to you and the route taken so you know you've not been ripped off. 

The power of word of mouth marketing will certainly be a big plus for Uber, not only have I now told you but anyone that will listen!

Thanks,
Michelle

Great feedback Michelle. Other than media negativity your the first person I know of who has actually used the service. 

Certainly seems to be a master class in PR!

Steve Richardson

This Thread is now closed for comments