Bank Holiday season again...

By : Administrator
Published 2nd May 2014 |
Read latest comment - 26th August 2014

Great for employees, bad for business 

Am I the only one that thinks this country has too many bank holidays and disruption 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments
Am I the only one that thinks this country has too many bank holidays and disruption 

I'm afraid so.....

Thanks,
Barney

It might be the case that the Easter was very close to May bank holidays. In Sweden, businesses tend to have up to 6 weeks closure time over summer, so doing business there in June/July/August could be a nightmare... Germans can't contact their employees after the business hours, and the French are about to introduce another similar bill. 

I do believe these things are far worse for business than a couple of bank holidays here. 

Fixed Fee Legal Services | Bespoke Document Drafting | Document Templates

I look forward to when I can return to a 40 hour week, those days seem to have long disappeared. So getting time out for a bank holiday is a bit of a luxury...

Thanks,
Barney

I do believe these things are far worse for business than a couple of bank holidays here. ”

Very fair point, so I'm just a miserable old git 

That said, 3 days of Sun has restored my faith in Bank holidays, and have used our National Trust membership to good affect and worn the kids out 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

On a personal level I love it, but this year, Easter and May half term seem so close it does disrupt things. I guess that's where being a small business owner helps a bit, in terms of flexibility. I'm very aware of another week off at the end of May so I'm trying to cram in 3 big VAT returns in before then...of course that relies on the clients being a)prepared and b)cooperative

Thanks,
Ecokimbo

Very fair point, so I'm just a miserable old git 

Yes you are !!!!!

To be fair though it does appear the this term will be very short with another week off for the kids in 3 weeks!

Sure someone will explain, how does Easter keep moving if Christmas doesn't?

Holidays do need to be spread out better, seem to recall the news reporting last week at the head teachers conference that exact point, wonder if anything will ever come of it?

Clive

Easter is a 'moveable feast' because it's one of the pagan celebrations connected with the moon phases that the Christians nicked. Can't remember exactly how it works offhand, but something todo with phases of moon around spring equinox.

There are one or two schools (academies) who already split the holidays..by having four 13 week terms with two weeks off in each, i think. This seems far more sensible. This term is riduculous..they went back on 28 April and are off again for half term on 26 May!

Thanks,
Ecokimbo

Ok its been a while since i did R/E at school.

I thought Easter was the resurrection, and wasnt that 3 days after he died - he was born on 25/12 and that doesn't change sooooo how can his death & resurrection?

Clive

I'm worried as to whether I joined the right forum here, 2 administrators, ones a miserable old git, with the other being lined up as the next state executioner! 

Thanks,
Barney

This Thread is now closed for comments