Co-op comes back fighting and takes on the big supermarkets

By : Administrator
Published 23rd April 2014 |
Read latest comment - 30th April 2014

Be prepared for a Co-op food marketing campaign that wants to tempt us into their stores, forget the recent bad publicity, and take on the big supermarkets in a price war.

According to marketing week they are launching a £100m "Fair and Square" campaign today, which will see over 1000 lines reduced, as they aim to increase their current 6.1% market-share of the grocery store market.

Are you a co-op shopper, or are you tempted to different stores by these marketing campaigns? Or do you tend to stick with the same supermarket for your weekly shop?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

I haven't been to a co op since I was in shorts, they use to give stamps out then not sure if they still do though... Generally go to Asda because it is more local, sometimes go to Morrison's just for a change of scenery. But I did go to Aldi just before Easter and I was pleasantly surprised bought a full leg of British lamb for £10 which was really nice, loads of fresh fruit and veg for next to nothing, some new cleaning materials for the other half and a couple of bits of steak for me... and got change from £30. Anyway I do hope the co op pulls through the tough time it is going through' though I guess the problem lies directly with the poor management, as they must have done quarterly and half yearly forecasts so to do a full year and end up with a £2.5billion loss beggars belief, I'd also expect some senior management and accounting staff to be fired with immediate effect.

Thanks,
Barney

I seem to be in the middle of a no Co-op zone - would have to drive past 2 big supermarkets to get to my not so local co-op at home.

Although i regularly go to Wales and the only supermarket in the Town is Co-op - don't find their range any different to that of the others. Price-wise its more expensive but then i'd expect that due to the remote location.

Be interesting to see if their "Fair & Square Prices" get as far as Wales - will report back next time i'm there!

Clive

dont go to the co-op myself - plenty more pricey for some things. think i saw something for

Thanks,
UK-Fire

This Thread is now closed for comments