Hmv on the high street

By : Forum Member
Published 16th April 2014 |
Read latest comment - 29th May 2014

Apparently they are starting a new campaign to remind customers that they are the only entertainment retailer on the high street....they're not on my high street anymore! Are they on yours? How many shops are actually left and is there a future for them? As an iTunes cynic, I'm converted or buy from amazon, although you do have to be careful of possible counterfeits, lesson learnt from experience.

Thanks,
Pubby
Comments

I'm guilty of being an online shopper, then moaning when the High Street store closes. We've lost our local HMV, and it's a shame. I used to go there infrequently, maybe an occasional mooch and purchase.

I think WH Smiths still sell some music, and of course there is Clives favourite, Tesco's

Amazon sell counterfeits?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Weve just lost ours in Redditch, think Solihull or Birmingham are now the closest ones. Guess this is the same across the country?

Who mentioned Tescos 

Clive

And here in Newport...mind you most of the high street   has upped and left.

Thanks,
doglost

At least when we're older he'll have a few coffee shops to visit and some seind hand clothes to buy

Thanks,
Pubby

The last record shop I went into was called 'Our Price' which has now long gone probably nearly 15 years it has been gone. The problem with the record shop industry is that it was attacked from both the high street and technology. Why would any sane person now visit the high street to contribute to the local economy only to find a £40 parking ticket on their vehicle because they were 2 minutes late? So people end up down loading music online, have to say the first record I bought was by Slade in 1972 

Our Price is now the trading title of a price comparison website..

Thanks,
Barney

Our price, a blast from the past! It's a different world now, remember popping into Woolworths and buying a single because the queue was smaller than in Our Price, then taping the top 40 and trying to pause it between the speaking bits. My first record I bought myself was the Nightshift by the commodores.

I suppose you can get lost in nostalgia, but our kids no doubt will has this conversation in years to come reminiscing about the old internet, and learn in history how backward we were spending so much on a round bit of plastic with 1 song on each side, and having to go to a physical shop

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

tesco really is taking over...where HMV used to be there will now be a Tesco Metro, which will happily join the sainsburys and the one stop! Where will it end? Surely there are only a certain number of customers for all of these shops. And I noticed now where there was a nice little independent shop, there is now a charity shop. I do wonder if when the kids grow up they'll ask " what was a town centre?" 

Thanks,
Pubby

For the last 5 years i'd worked in Fareham Shopping Centre and HMV would come in from October to February as a Christmas Shop.

Rumour has it they'd come in rent free as they supposedly brought customers to the Centre...i must've missed them

Anyway, last October they didn't bother coming in, Shopping Centres really are a struggle for everyone at the moment.

Thanks,
Kempres

Was in Watfords "Intu" (what a ridiculous name for a shopping centre!, think it was called Harlequin before) over the weekend, they still have a HMV.

Also found a Sports Direct, well all the stock was theirs, even the staff where in their uniforms, shop was called something totally different though 

Clive

This Thread is now closed for comments