School Holidays - does it impact your business?

By : Administrator
Published 14th April 2014 |
Read latest comment - 23rd May 2014

Well the roads were nice and quiet today as the schools are off (at least in Warwickshire).

But this introduces complications for working parents, and can be a head ache for sole traders and small business owners.

So how many people are trying to struggle on with kids running round in the back ground, limping along with employees missing, or maybe you shut up shop for the school holidays?

Amazing how your views change when you have kids, and I cringe now about how unsympathetic I used to be when it came to employees and childcare 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

I live opposite a school, love it when their on holiday, traffic moves swiftly, no crisp wrappers, coke can and fag butts in my garden either.....

Thanks,
Barney

I love it for the exact same reasons as above but still need to get the work done that i m contracted to do we hear of kids been spoilt and want everything now but since having staff i feel they are the same and we try(and do) accommodate all their requests which isn t always good for buisness or the economy ,school holidays should be shortened as they are overseas then the pressure on parents and employers may be lessoned.

Iron-lady

no kids but the lack of traffic is nice

Thanks,
Johno

Amazing how your views change when you have kids, and I cringe now about how unsympathetic I used to be when it came to employees and childcare 

I remember saying about 5 years ago that "someones" opinion would change when they had children!!!!

One of mine is about to leave school, the other i still have to split the hols with his mother, but its not so bad now as at least on the few days i cannot have off i can leave him on his own 

On the plus side, roads are quiet and actually getting 50mpg on the way to work, usually struggle to get 40mpg in morning rush hour!!!

Clive

I was kind of thinking the conversation would be around the disruption to the small business owner, so other than Iron Lady, we all seem to be happy about the lack of traffic!

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I love the school holidays ...on the road to work....but not anywhere else!

Thanks,
Pubby

I live infront of a school and love the holidays because theres less traffic and i can get off my drive without fighting through traffic but as a buisness  owner i know realistically it doesn t make us money if people aren t out and about but then thats maybe the difference between a good and a failing buisness!!I also have children so pay childcare when needed and must admit i enjoy it if its quiet but a lottery win would be nice wouldn t have to worry about anything!

Iron-lady

I hate school holidays!

It plays havoc with our business .. who wants to have carpets cleaned when the kids are running in and out, or damp carpets for them to walk on?

School holidays should be banned! 

We do find it tricky. Because we have our own business, it does give us a modicum of flexibility, but we can't just shut up shop for 2 weeks. We do have one employee, but he can't be on his own for 2 weeks either, so we end up doing alternate days. We did actually take a 4 day short break over the Easter holidays. Next month it's half term so we'll be back to one in, one out. Our children are 10 and 12 so almost but not quite old enough to be left for a while...ok to nip round the corner to the shop, but not really a half day at work!

Thanks,
Ecokimbo

This Thread is now closed for comments