Google Glass

By : Forum Member
Published 11th April 2014 |
Read latest comment - 23rd April 2014

Is this technology overload and a step too far? I'm sure it has its place, but where will it all end?

Will I be rushing out to buy one? I think not.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26940305

Holborn Direct Mail
020 8683 7155
Comments

Trouble is I can't help being a techie, and I love the idea of it

This is very much Mark1 stuff, and is a bit clunky and ugly, but the potential is amazing and I think it's definitely a look into the future.

Think of the potential when you factor in Aurasma style Augmented Reality. Or you look at a City Scape, and stats and info is available on landmarks, or you go in to more detail on a particular object.

Or meeting someone, and having no idea what their name is, or not sure if it's someones birthday. No doubt their will be an app that takes their picture and does an image search on Google, and from the knowledge graph, you will have an instant summary of who they are, where they work, what they had for breakfast

It also raises all sorts of questions such as privacy and security. I doubt you will be welcome on a Military base with your smart glasses, or in a secure environment, but no doubt we will all adjust, laws will be tweaked.

In 20 years this will no doubt be seen in the same light as the early IBM 386 PC's, cutting edge at the time, but in reality just the beginning of a chapter and paved the way for the desktop, laptops and tablets we use today.

From a business point of view, it will be interesting to see how the internet evolves as wearable technology becomes mainstream over the next 5 - 10 years. Wonder website wise if we will have a desktop version, a mobile version, and a wearable version? 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

hmmm, i think i'm with hdm, technology overload!

Clive

I want one. Can you actually buy these in the UK or is it only for google people?

Thanks,
Johno

I want one. Can you actually buy these in the UK or is it only for google people?”

No one can buy them yet, at least us mere mortals. They went on sale in the US for one day, priced at $1500, but personally I'd sit back and wait for a couple of years.

This is technology in it's infancy. It would be like buying a car but waiting for the council to start building some roads so you could use it

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

wow $1500 looks like I'll be waiting for a while then 

Thanks,
Johno

Google Glass is awesome (IMHO)! Moreover, wearable devices will be a part of our life in the nearest future, like tablets, e-ink books etc. By the way, I currently experiment with UX/UI design for Google Glass: trying to understand how to build comfortable apps for them. I also left the request for Glass at http://www.google.com/glass/start/how-to-get-one/))

I think that we can already use them, but society isn't really ready for this technology. Remember, how people felt when cell phones started to take pictures and shoot video.

Thanks, @ivanzaichuk
CEO of IvZ Solutions

This Thread is now closed for comments