Call to action and design

By : Forum Member
Published 2nd September 2010 |
Read latest comment - 20th April 2014

Hello Boys and Girls,

I know I have been asking a lot of you recently, but I have one more request for now.

Here are three possible designs for new site.
http://www.scootek.co.uk/draft2.png
http://www.scootek.co.uk/draft3.png
http://www.scootek.co.uk/draft4.png

I am going to take the border out of the logo (for the site only).

Please tell me what I could dofor the site to have a more "call to action" - basically get the site selling.

You don't have to consider my feelings...but constructive feedback would be better than ...I just don't like it.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Ryan
Comments
forum avatarKip FX Design
2nd September 2010 7:19 PM
Draft 2 is looking very good! Would just make it look a bit more fixering! (thats a made up word, I know!)

Broken IT, fixed IT, Software, IT Help etc! Thats what I would want to see from the off!

Like the idea of corporate colours on a friendly looking site, feel you are ticking all boxes there buddy!

Yep I agree with Kip #2 is looking really good..

Cloud4

Thanks Kip, Phil.

Phil, saw your email come through I'll give you a reply later.

Ryan

Ryan

Sorry Ryan, I'm not that keen on any of them

There seems to be lots of wasted space at the top of the page, and lots of noise and clutter lower down.

What makes you stand out from the crowd of other IT support companies? If I've never heard of you, whats going to make want to stay on your page and start doing some digging, and see if you are the boys for me?

I was just googling IT Support, and just going through the results to see any that stood out. Most are samey, boring, lacking inspiration, then this one popped out: littlefish

Never heard of them, but its obvious what they do, it looks like they have passion and enthusiasm, their site looks professional, but is far from dull.

I love the cost calculator, what a great idea. Its a shame I need to email, but could you do a dynamic version, obvious caveats this is just a rough idea blah blah, but get a biz owner to interact with your site.

eg I've got 6 servers, 4 pc's, 3 laptops, and 2 printers, if I can type this in, and your predetermined formula spits out a nice number of how much it would cost to get you to support, you've then got my interest.

Would take some work, but you know from experience what things cost, add a sliding scale etc.

Another one is the Rescue tab. Dunno who your core market is, but do you get people looking for your service when they are at their wits end, ie just lost buckets of data, or pc's gone bang? A big rescue button with lots of common sense advice, reassurance and a "call us now" message

Do like the fact you can quickly and easily get them to remote control your PC.

How about a big button "get a server healthcheck report". Rem from my old Win Server days you can run automated healthchecking scripts, doesn't take much to impress an end user, especially an overworked biz owner. Bit like the free SEO reports everyone seems to do, in a bid to get your custom.

Just a couple of thoughts

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Thanks Steve. That's what i call proper feedback. I am am aware of littlefish. Your right them seem to do it well. You should have seen their old site. It was good bit dark for my liking but was much better than the one they have now. I think they are moving towards the cloud, hence the current site, which is a bit boring to me compared to what they had before. I am not nocking it for the sake of it.

Most IT support companies do boring site, and we are probably guilty of it as the next business. But I am trying to put the effort in to change that.

Yes, it may seem a bit crowded, but it's not that bad. I plan to have loads of useful info on the site so I want it to become a resource over time. So it keeps people coming back. That's the plan.

Going through each point:

Regarding the empty space at top. Spot on. I was already aware of that, and it's on my to do list.

Everybody seems to do those cost calculators. I was going to do, as necessary evil. But I feel it's a coy, and it gives inaccurate information, if only it was a simple as "X amount of PC's and Servers". But I think you have a valid point, from a customers point of view and I will work on adding it in.

Our core market is SME's in London. Rescue tab is a very good idea. It was again something that I was playing around with. I will add it. However, i don't want people to see us just "emergency services" for IT. I want us to be their regular service provider.

I like the get a server healthcheck report idea. But I am not sure if people would be comfortable about doing that online.

I am going to also add an instant remote access button and the following:

• On the website, I would like to do the logo without the number plate borders or yellow background. At present the top part seems to have a lot of blank space, and I feel that’s to do with the logo. By removing the number plate border that would move the rest of the page up. It would just be the logo with the co.uk going across the side. I would also (probably) get rid of the “IT Support Company” bit from the logo.
• I would also make the second tab “Why Scooters”.
• I would change the laptop image, as that feels very residential. I don’t have an issue with the people in the background. I would use server type images instead of a laptop.
• A call to action button. I might have a big, bold button on every page (or most pages) that says something like "For a Free Consultation" or "Get Started with Scootek" or something else that brings you to a sign up page.

On more thing ignore the text for now, as this just the design part.

I look forward to some more feedback.

Ryan

I think the horizontal menu being in the same colour scheme as the logo is too much. I dont like the colour at all as I don't think it's akin/appropriate to IT in any way either. Colour psychology is a play on colours with what the mind perceives by association.

indizine
indizine

I think the horizontal menu being in the same colour scheme as the logo is too much. I dont like the colour at all as I don't think it's akin/appropriate to IT in any way either. Colour psychology is a play on colours with what the mind perceives by association.

Thanks for feedback. I wrote on my reply to Steve that the yellow coloured logo is not going on there. Knowing that, what would colour would you change the menu to?

Ryan

I prefer No. 3 and would do something with the menu around the blue/green colour. Maybe not the menu in full colour but white background and coloured font so it blends.

indizine
indizine

I prefer No. 3 and would do something with the menu around the blue/green colour. Maybe not the menu in full colour but white background and coloured font so it blends.

Thanks.

I am thinking of trying number 3 out, just by changing the blue/green. I not too much of a fan of that blue green. If the yellow stays it's good because it's company colours. However, I am not sure what colour would work in it's place (instead of the blue/green).

Ryan

This Thread is now closed for comments