Happy 20th Birthday Google

By : Administrator
Published 27th September 2018 |
Read latest comment - 10th October 2018

Can you believe it's been 20 years? I remember setting default home pages to Google in 1999 as an IT contractor as it used to wind up the accounts department who all preferred AltaVista.

I think for me personally I'd describe it as a love hate relationship over the years

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

I dislike Google purely because it's too popular, much like my dislike of Dirty Dancing and Queen.  I feel like we're all slaves to Google somewhat and that makes me uncomfortable as it's not a choice anymore. But at least I'm not an Apple drone, that's something to be pleased about. 

I feel like we're all slaves to Google somewhat and that makes me uncomfortable ... ”

Aha, you're one of them! Google is turning into Skynet  

With their development in Artificial Intelligence, there are a lot of people getting nervous....

I'm a total iPhone fan, but refuse to be a consumer slave. I'm dug in with my iphone 6S, I love it, does all I need it to and still has a headphone jack! I've even got a boxed unused 6S in the office to replace my current one, so I've got about another 5 or 6 years at least of my trusty iphone 6S 

Until Apple declares me obsolete, which by then both me and the phone will be

Steve Richardson

Aha, you're one of them! Google is turning into Skynet  

With their development in Artificial Intelligence, there are a lot of people getting nervous....

I'm a total iPhone fan, but refuse to be a consumer slave. I'm dug in with my iphone 6S, I love it, does all I need it to and still has a headphone jack! I've even got a boxed unused 6S in the office to replace my current one, so I've got about another 5 or 6 years at least of my trusty iphone 6S 

Until Apple declares me obsolete, which by then both me and the phone will be

YES!!! They are Skynet.... THIS is exactly the problem. One day my paranoia will take over and I'll go off grid and live on a  Greek island 

If you have two iPhones you clearly have more money than sense Steve.   

If you have two iPhones you clearly have more money than sense Steve.   

If only!! They are on a business contract and for some reason we were sent a double order! Have flagged it 3 times, tried sending them back, but no one seems bothered and we haven't been billed for them. So they are sat in a drawer acting as spares for the inevitable time Clive drops his again 

Steve Richardson

If only!! They are on a business contract and for some reason we were sent a double order! Have flagged it 3 times, tried sending them back, but no one seems bothered and we haven't been billed for them. So they are sat in a drawer acting as spares for the inevitable time Clive drops his again 

hahahaaa bonus! The screens do seem to smash a bit too easily, all part of their sales plan I am sure 

Tried the iphone for  awhile but didn't like the fact you were locked in ... Gone to android and loving it again.  I just can't believe the price tag on a new phone ,they are getting ridiculous. I opted for the best budget phone and it's the bees knees , photo's are great has plenty of features and even has finger print option.. Wasn't really fussed about it before but I absolutely love it now  and don't think I could go back

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Tried the iphone for  awhile but didn't like the fact you were locked in ... Gone to android and loving it again.  I just can't believe the price tag on a new phone ,they are getting ridiculous. I opted for the best budget phone and it's the bees knees , photo's are great has plenty of features and even has finger print option.. Wasn't really fussed about it before but I absolutely love it now  and don't think I could go back”

I'm a huge Android fan and you can get great phones at a reasonable price. I wouldn't be without fingerprint recognition now. 

Back to the original topic … the ONLY thing I hate about Google is the fact that nobody bothers to learn anything any more because they can "Google it". I even heard someone saying the other day that teachers are having to argue against Google access being allowed during exams because it is a modern 'learning tool'. 

I mean, REALLY???!!! 

Many thanks,
Natalie - Your Local Girl Friday

Back to the original topic … the ONLY thing I hate about Google is the fact that nobody bothers to learn anything any more because they can "Google it". I even heard someone saying the other day that teachers are having to argue against Google access being allowed during exams because it is a modern 'learning tool'. 

I mean, REALLY???!!! 

I think we are very reliant on this and it pays to be careful to check your sources as we all know, but don't always remember, that just because it is on the internet doesn't make it true! #Fakenews

This Thread is now closed for comments