Tax Changes for businesses

By : Business Owner
Published 10th August 2018 |
Read latest comment - 28th September 2018

Jumped in the car this afternoon and caught the end of a conversation about the high street shops being given tax breaks and online shops being taxed more ..Or something to this effect.. Can anyone enlighten me more as I just see this as yet another nail in the coffin of my little website..Google has virtually killed it off already 

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World
Comments

I've had a look and I assume you heard this story, that they're considering a tax for online retailers but it does say based on values raised so I would hope and assume it is aimed at companies with large turnovers not small businesses. I guess we'll see. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/philip-hammond-amazon-tax-high-street-retail-online-business-rates-a8486446.html

Yes that may be it, thank you ..Why they just can't force amazon to pay the right tax is beyond me..Anyway will have to wait and see what happens and just move over to etsy if they force these changes

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

They need to change the law so they can't wiggle out of paying tax. It's ridiculous. 

I have to be honest, I think something needs to be done to readdress the balance. I genuinely feel for bricks and mortar small businesses. Take a small traditional toy shop, it's so much nicer taking the kids in there than letting them look online.

But that small shop has to employ staff and is burdened with huge overheads such as high town centre rents.  Then (if our town is anything to go by) shoppers get fleeced with parking prices or daft 30 minute only zones (£1.50). So footfall decreases.

Then human nature kicks in as we all want a bargain. So we browse, touch and feel in the shop, make a note, then buy it £5 cheaper online.

Conversely you can set up an online store for a few quid, drop ship and just spend money on marketing to get the sales going. (ok very over simplified, but that's the reality).

I don't really want a town centre full of coffee shops and charity shops,  but with the collapse or imminent collapse of most of the old school department stores and brands, something needs to drastically change. Both in town planning and management, as well as our buying habits and expectations.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

This Thread is now closed for comments