When the going gets tough....

By : Forum Moderator
Published 4th April 2018 |
Read latest comment - 31st July 2018

... The tough sometimes need a break!

I've recently had a nightmare month. March was a virtual write off business wise, after the 10th anyway! My young son who is not even 2 yet got very ill and having already had a couple of weeks of barely any sleep whilst he seemed to not quite get over a virus we suddenly ended up in hospital. 

To cut a long story short, I had to spend two weeks in Coventry hospital and Birmingham Children's Hospital as he has a liver abscess, which is as bad as it sounds. We're now on home leave and visit the hospital 3 times a day for IV antibiotics. So funnily enough work had to take a backseat! 

It's been incredibly stressful and I'm lucky that a couple of my regular clients were very reasonable and had a lot of empathy and gave me the time I needed. I've had to face up to the fact I've missed out on some new clients, but it has been impossible to take on new work until now. 

We're now settled into a new routine and I feel like my brain is functioning again! So I need to make up for the downtime! 

Has anyone had a similar experience, if they've taken ill or had a dependent need care? It's been a real eye opener that my business is vulnerable but as a sole trader there's not much I can do about it really. 

Comments

Hope he gets well soon, nothing worse than a sickly child.

Remember in a post I said I would not hijack it, well that leads nicely onto mine .3 weeks ago to be exact I left work early as I was feeling absolutely sick , well so I thought .. I got home and the pain started and just got worse and worse with a bit of puking lol ... Anyway I phone the doctor and they can't give me an appointment, by this time I am rolling in agony , ended up phoning 111 who forced them to see me. Well was rushed off to hospital with suspected appendicitis. A long night in A&E and lots of morphine   I took a trip to Hastings where they did the op with keyhole surgery. All I can say is thank goodness for the wife and daughter in those first 2 weeks ,they were stars in looking after me 

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Oh yikes Andy and ouch!! I'm glad it got sorted! 

I feel your pain Andy - I had my appendix out years ago and I still remember how ill I felt beforehand. Thank goodness you persisted in getting looked at by the Doc, as a burst appendix is not good!!

Rebecca - so glad your little one is on the mend, what a total nightmare for you. I hope you never have to go through anything like that again and you certainly make a good point - I love being self-employed but do panic a little bit sometimes when I think about where the money is going to come from if I have to take time off. Last year I spent nine days in hospital after contracting C-diff from Antibiotics, so the stress of worrying about money didn't exactly aid a speedy recovery! 

I guess it just goes to show that even when unexpected things crop up we are able to bounce back with the support of family and friends and really understanding clients!

Keep well everyone!

Many thanks,
Natalie - Your Local Girl Friday

Funnily enough the scan this week showed the cause of the liver abscess was a burst appendix! As they can be behind the liver in young children! He must have been in a lot of pain, no wonder he was so miserable, poor thing!

Blimey Andy, sounds like a close call!

Whats the latest on your nipper Rebecca? Is everything ok now?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Yep all is good now , never would have known I had had it out , except for my belly button as they use it for an entry point .It's now just weird lol

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Blimey Andy, sounds like a close call!

Whats the latest on your nipper Rebecca? Is everything ok now?”

Yes his antibiotics have ended and the latest scan showed the abscess reducing by itself and some of it may be scar tissue. There will be another scan in 2 months to keep an eye on it. Thanks for asking.

That's good to hear Rebecca, poor lil' guy! Just read through it now and it's understandable your fears being a sole trader.

The advice I would give here is if you can find someone who is willing to take up the mantle at short notice (like a babysitter but a business-sitter!) who can field your emails and being in communication with your clients. The last thing a client wants is for their point of contact to go quiet. Then you can pay them for their time, so you don't have to worry about getting on to your emails!

Thanks,
rkdesignsolutions

Yes his antibiotics have ended and the latest scan showed the abscess reducing by itself and some of it may be scar tissue. There will be another scan in 2 months to keep an eye on it. Thanks for asking.

Glad to hear he is on the mend Rebecca 

Many thanks,
Natalie - Your Local Girl Friday

This Thread is now closed for comments