England - Wales M4 Severn bridge charges

By : Forum Member
Published 14th February 2016 |
Read latest comment - 29th February 2016

I Have just crossed the M4 Severn Bridge in a coach, i could not believe the price for a coach or HGV is £19.80. That bridge must have been paid for over and over, even if maintenance costs are that high, i would be very surprised. The government realise its a long way round if the bridge is not used, so it's going up in price not down in May

As its only one way its still lots of money to cross abridge which must have been paid for,the government putting another tax on motorists. At least the M25 Dartford crossing is only £3.00

I Believe the Severn Bridge is going to rise again in May 2016, there is infact a chance that it will be

charged in both directions by then.

impressive but expensive?

Your thoughts please?

Thanks,
John connelly
Comments

There was a thing about this on the beeb recently. Didn't realise they weren't owned by the Government, so it's not them setting the tolls.

Monmouth MP David Davies has written to Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin, urging the UK government to set out a detailed handover plan.

The M48 Severn Bridge and M4 Second Severn Crossing are due to come back into public ownership in April 2018 once construction cost debts are repaid to Severn River Crossing (SRC) PLC.

....Government ownership should see an "immediate removal" of the 20% VATapplied to the Severn Bridge tolls, Mr Davies added, as under EU rules it would not be chargeable on a government-owned piece of infrastructure.

BBC News: Severn bridges in public ownership by 2017, says MP

So in theory the toll charges could be reduced or scrapped, though in reality it will be a good money spinner for the treasury. Be good to see the fees reduced though.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Ouch that is a lot, I haven't been on that bridge in years! It is beautiful and an amazing feat of engineering, I am sad it is privately owned but not surprised. It must be a nightmare for businesses that have to use it regularly. 

I think at least the payment is on the right side. Pay to get into Wales seems like the right way to go.... 

Tom Buckland
SEO Consultant

ouch £6.60 for cars ,still expensive ... Suppose you really need to work out the costs of going the long way around ... As I have never been there before I have no idea of the different distances involved

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

I think at least the payment is on the right side. Pay to get into Wales seems like the right way to go.... ”

Harsh! They have beautiful beaches, just avoid dodgy B&Bs in Swansea (trust me). 

And it closes to high vehicles too on very windy days

Harsh! They have beautiful beaches, just avoid dodgy B&Bs in Swansea (trust me). 

Thanks,
John connelly

I think at least the payment is on the right side. Pay to get into Wales seems like the right way to go.... ”

Bunch of Bungalow burners

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

... Suppose you really need to work out the costs of going the long way around ... ”

There is such a need for a bridge in a few locations i travel to in Wales. One of my favourite beaches i visit is Ynyslas - a 45 minute drive away from where I have a family holiday home - here is a shot of the beach looking back to Aberdovey -

you can just about make out the pier in the back ground - its a tiny Estuary that you need to cross but have to drive about 25miles inland .... 

I would happily pay for a Toll Road !

Yes some of them are the curse of Satin himself, other times though they make life so much easier.

Clive

That's insane Clive!!! How frustrating!!!

This Thread is now closed for comments