Redcar Steel Plant - should the Government intervene?

By : Administrator
Published 29th September 2015 |
Read latest comment - 16th October 2015

Terrible news about the Redcar Steel plant today, as the site will stop production with the loss of 1700 jobs. The plan is to mothball it, so it remains viable if a buyer happens to come along.

The Thai owner SSI has blamed the decision on falling steel prices, mainly from China making the plant unviable.

Unions are calling for the plant to be taken over and nationalised, but the Government has hit back saying that would mean stock piling steel if it couldn't be sold, and the losses footed by the Tax Payer.

The counter argument is that the banks were propped up at Tax Payers expense, so why not other industries?

With the decline of manufacturing over the previous decades, is it time to accept that traditional industry like this will be dominated by Chinese imports, or should we do something about it, event though we are trying to reduce our debt, not add to it?

Seems to be a tough call on either side, what do you think?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Watching the breakfast news this morning and there was representative of the steel industry who gave his take on what could be done, and what he wants the government to do.

His argument is that the UK Steel industry is being decimated by unfair trading practices with the market being flooded by heavily subsidised Chinese steel. He doesn't want any government subsidies, just a level playing field.

If the EU stopped the unfair and uncompetitive practice of cheap government subsidised imports, then commercial steel plants across Europe would be economically viable. Apparently the UK steel plants are optimised and efficient, but it must be hard to compete if your competition is heavily subsidised. Allegedly it takes the EU 12 months to debate and come up with a decision, where as the USA can debate and decide in a matter of weeks, as cheap Chinese imports seems to be a global issue.

An interesting point was made about UK business rates, and any new investment in plant, machinery etc, actually means a heavy increase in business rates, putting off investment and expansion in industry.

It all seemed a fair argument and if true, a crying shame if we are losing manufacturing capacity due to unfair overseas trading practices?

I suppose this could fuel the anti EU argument, but in my mind, it would be nice if we started protecting our some of remaining manufacturing capacity before it's lost forever

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

It's a really sad state of affairs although I really know very little about industry. I did study business rates once though, I actually came top in the national exams (such a claim to fame!) Perhaps the government could look at some rate relief for certain industries to encourage expansion and investment? This of course would need to be financed in some way. Ditching HS2 would have helped.....That's a can of worms though.

The unfair overseas trading needs to be dealt with and I agree that the EU is a very slow bureaucratic system that needs reform. That reform, if it happens, may be too late though. 

This Thread is now closed for comments