Small Business and the EU referendum - what do you think?

By : Administrator
Published 25th September 2015 |
Read latest comment - 16th December 2015

According to the British Chambers of Commerce, if an in-out referendum were to be held tomorrow, 63% of businesspeople would vote to remain in the European Union, 27% would vote to leave, and 10% are unsure.  Yet fully 50% said their vote could change depending on David Cameron’s renegotiation package.

Source: British Chambers of Commerce

It's interesting that one of the key debate issues, open borders and the freedom of movement, something the UK has been arguing against, is now under attack from within the EU itself! It seems every day we see new fences going up and "temporary" border controls getting implemented across EU countries, admittedly at the extreme reaches of the EU.

I wonder if the current migrant crisis will actually strengthen the UK's hand in the EU reform discussions, or give us more bargaining power?

With a small business head on, how would you vote if there was a referendum tomorrow?

Do you think we should leave and go it alone, or stay in the EU but continue to try and change from within?

Are you of the 50% that could be swayed either way depending on how effective Camerons negotiations are?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

I'd vote stay, stay, stay as I think we're stronger together! I am no expert on the ins and outs though, just a gut feeling. Plus I'm not as anti immigration as most. I do think there are some ridiculous EU laws but surely export/import wise it's better to be in than out?

I've always been a bit anti EU but i know there are also massive benefits to staying in.

If we could negotiate more power to make our own decisions (like Scotland have) and give less power to Brussels, who quite frankly make up some ridiculous rules & Laws then i could be swayed to vote YES.

Clive

forum avatarGuest
25th September 2015 2:41 PM

I agree with Rebecca about staying in the EU, again thats just a gut feeling I have always had.

I also agree with Garde, about we should have more powers like Scotland have as some of the Laws are just stupid to be honest.

If we left the EU that would effect some Imports & Exports greatly and god knows what the charges would be like.

I am an Italian living and working across Europe .

I have my companies based in UK, Ireland and Latvia - I am definitely pro-Europe and I feel the benefit of EU every single day. On the other hand, I also feel that some rules should be changed. But the solution is not leaving the Union (IMHO, of course!)

Thanks, Simon
European Business Advisory Ltd

Ok, I'll be the odd one out then. I'll happily vote out in any referendum, not sure why we're even having a vote as no one in this country actually voted us in. The only vote that has taken place was to join the Common Market, which is / was something completely different from what we have now. The biggest argument for staying is that UK businesses will somehow lose out if we leave. I'd like to know why exactly, just how does being a member of the EU benefit British Business? We will still trade with the rest of Europe whether we remain in or out, just like we always have and just like we trade with the rest of the world. The days of when it was proud to be British seems to be a bygone.... Just wish I could be transported back to the 70s it wasn't perfect, but we were a united country...

Thanks,
Barney

So after lots of publicity from the leave EU camp, the pro EU campaign has finally started with ex marks and Sparks boss Lord Rose.

According to the beeb, cross party support for the pro campaign comes from former PM's, Major, Brown and Blair.

Some good stats getting bandied round:

Lord Rose...cited CBI estimates that the benefits of trade, investment, jobs and lower prices meant membership to the EU was worth £3,000 per year on average to every UK household.

He said: "When you consider that our annual contribution is equivalent to £340 per household, our contribution to the EU is an investment on which British families get a 10-to-one return."

Source: BBC

No doubt that will soon be countered, and over the next 2 years I expect we will all be bombarded to death with argument and counterargument which will probably just cause more confusion.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I am also against the EU ,sorry .. Maybe I am small minded but we fought and died for Britain to be Britain 2. we pay the EU +/- £55 million as our “membership fee" each year( link EU) , just think what that could do for our country.. If we do have to stay in then UK needs to govern itself as all these petty EU regulations drive me to drink and some are so ridiculous  

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

If we leave, will we have to renegotiate trade deals with each EU country? I don't see how that would be a boon to UK businesses. 

Harry Huges

I am European but don't like the fact we have a veto. If we are in then let's be in 100% no more sitting on the sidelines.  We should be working  alongside France and Germany as a major player in Europe. Even taking on the Euro.  But sadly the majority of people don't want this country to be fully in. Well what's the point then. My view is we are either fully in or we leave. No more messing about. 

Thanks,
abfabcards

This Thread is now closed for comments