Volkswagen - is it big business arrogance?

By : Administrator
Published 23rd September 2015 |
Read latest comment - 18th November 2015

I think everyone on the planet is aware of the VW story, ie manipulating diesel car emissions tests in the States.

But the thing I find fascinating is the thought process behind it all. Did they really think they would get away with it, and how far up the food chain did it go to get approved?

Was it a meeting of engineers? Struggling to get the emissions down on an engine, when the new apprentice says for a joke, "I know, why don't we just fake it with some clever software, ha ha.."

"Klaus, zat idea is vonderbar, you are promoted to head engineer". At what point did the engineers, line manager, senior manager think, hmm that's wrong, illegal and we will all end up in hot water?

Is it a case of a business believing them to be so big that the rules don't apply to them? Is it just executive level arrogance?

Not seen the news since the headlines this morning, but if he hasn't already, I assume the CEO will be soon marched out the door, no doubt with a few more high profile dismissals.

Then at some level, no doubt quite senior, there will be a suitable scapegoat who will be thrown to the wolves, and spend the next 5 years tied up in court cases and eventually end up in jail.

Then a massive PR/propaganda campaign of executives who are flabbergasted and were completely unaware the practice took place, and the company will learn from its mistakes and move on. Assuming the long term damage isn't critical in which case we will see a rescue package is launched to save the worlds number 1 car maker from bankruptcy.

Sound familiar? Looks like big business arrogance has moved on from the banking industry and moved to the automotive 

Imagine a small business applying the same work ethics and practices?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Well the pattern has started, as expected the CEO walked, and now we already have "it is just a small group of employees that are responsible." So we are moving onto the scapegoat stage, no doubt it will be their line manager, or maybe his/her boss.

Lawyers around the world must be clapping their hands in joy, as a fresh PPI scale wave of compensation will no doubt descend on us. Can hear the call centre scripts all ready.. "Have you owned a VW in the last 5 years?"  I think VW will survive the initial crisis, but they must be worried about the long term legal bill.

Interesting story on the Beeb this morning. Apparently Brussels-based lobby group Transport & Environment has produced evidence that us motorists are being hoodwinked by all car manufacturers with false economy claims. That may take some pressure of VW.

On average, it found a 40% gap between the amount of petrol and C02 released in lab tests compared to real life.

Drivers are spending €450 (£331m) a year more than expected on fuel.

Over the lifetime of a car, this adds up to an average €2,800 for additional fuel, the report found.

Source: BBC - Motorists 'tricked' in car test abuses, claims report

I'll bet the banks are breathing a sigh of relief as it becomes the Motor Industry's turn for scrutiny (oh and World football).

Steve Richardson

Just seen a report that it now affects most of the Audi range too with the EU5 engine.

As i have an A6, got a feeling nasty things are coming my way !

Anyone else going to be affected?

Clive

forum avatarGuest
28th September 2015 10:14 PM

You can always give me the A6 if you dont want them nasty things coming to you lol...

My dads got an A6 but hes looking at selling it off soon.

I'm curious If other VW companies like Seat, Skoda, Audi will have similiar problems

Thanks,
Jon455

I'm curious If other VW companies like Seat, Skoda, Audi will have similiar problems”

I'd assume the engines must be the same or at least derivatives across all the VW brands.

Steve Richardson

I'd assume the engines must be the same or at least derivatives across all the VW brands.

Correct, the breakdown is here:
  • VW - 5m
  • Audi - 2.1m
  • Skoda - 1.2m
  • Seat - 700,000
  • Vans - 1.8m
Details via BBC

I think other manufacturers will be either owning up or be found out. This cannot be isolated to the VW Group.

Ford, Renault, Vauxhall, Mercedes etc - time to come clean - urm pardon the pun 

Clive

Just found a link to the VW website that allows you to check if you car is affected - 

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/dieselinfo

Once there you need to select your vehicle make and enter your VIN.

Clive

So is this a good or bad time to chop in a passat for a new one? Some say wait as price will drop others say this could take years and you would get compensation regardless if you still have an affected car or not.

Shakester

This Thread is now closed for comments